PDA

View Full Version : husbandry question

Mikenroe
07/05/2015, 07:18 PM
Okay, my tank sys is included in my signature, however I have an ATO auto top off system and it works great. However, my question is this, I use a 5 gal jug for the auto top off water. I have a small pump with a small hose. Do I need to clean out my 5 gal jug ever? I never have and I'm curious about this is leaking anything, whether it be bacteria or toxins, into my tank. If I do have to clean it, what is the best way? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Newsmyrna80
07/05/2015, 07:33 PM
I have been using a 5 gallon jug for top off for years and occasionally I'll rinse it out and shake out the excess water.

eddiereefs
07/05/2015, 07:37 PM
A lot of people dont clean them for years. But bacteria can proliferate in the over time especially if u are not using a food grade container. This will also raise ur tds. Clean it out with vinegar.

Mikenroe
07/06/2015, 08:14 AM
eddiereef's, The jug i use is a 5 gal water jug from a water and Ice store, however, I had no Idea this could be leaking TDS into my water. How do you clean with vinegar? Is it best to clean all your jugs with vinegar periodically?