PDA

View Full Version : Stand dimensions for 24"x12"14" tank

JCrites
07/05/2015, 10:14 PM
Hello all!

I am getting back into the hobby after a 6 year hiatus and am getting really excited! I've got a tank lined and am going to be building a stand.

The tank dimensions are 23.8' x 11.8" x 14.2". Below I am going to have a 20" x 11" x 13" sump.

I'm on the fence to building a stand that is flush with the tank or making a larger stand to have some "counter space" for the ledges. I also have no idea with how tall I'd like it to be.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated, or even better if anyone has a tank with the same or similar dimensions a picture would be great!

Shawn O
07/06/2015, 11:39 AM
It's up to you since beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say. What might look good to me may look silly to you. My tank is going next to my dining room table so the stand I'm making is the same height as the dining table for best viewing. If it were going in the living room I'd make it a different height, depending on how it's going to be viewed the most.

As you already have a particular sump size in mind, it's would be best to make the stand large enough that you can get the sump in and out easily. Many people complain about having to remove the tank to replace the sump with the cheap stands that places like petco sell. Also, I'd go with making the stand a little fancier than you originally intended. I'm the type of person who would look at something I built and notice every flaw and think it looks home-made (cheap) even if it looks better than store bought. Just trying to save you the "I wish I had done it this way" feeling after it's all set up.