PDA

View Full Version : New to saltwater, confused on equipment needed!

Kahlypso
07/06/2015, 01:44 PM
So for about 6 months ive been keeping freshwater tanks. My single betta tank has evolved into 6 running aquariums, ranging in size from 5 gallons to 55 gallons. I have decided to convert my 36 gallon bow front into a saltwater aquarium. I just started researching about two weeks ago and stumbled onto this website. So here i am for help and advice!

I am wanting to diy build a 10 gallon sump (thats the biggest that will fit into my space). Cant drill my tank so i will be using a hang on the back overflow box. My main question is what kind of protein skimmer should i get? Price isnt a huge issue, i prefer quality over cheap. and obviously it needs to fit into my sump.

ideally i would like to have some soft corals, a pair of clown fish and some shrimp. minimal and simple but nice. Right now im just compiling a list of items and equipment required to get the tank up and running!

Things seem a little overwhelming at the moment. But i feel i can accomplish it. Ive really been into the water chemistry side of freshwater and the saltwater chemistry part is so fascinating.

any advice or recommended equipment needed will be much appreciated!

hkgar
07/06/2015, 01:52 PM
Heater and maybe a controller for it or a good thermometer so you can monitor the temp.

Check out the Life Reef skimmers. http://lifereef.com/venturi.html

They are expensive for your size tank but they just plain work. Check the thread in the equipment thread

Kahlypso
07/06/2015, 02:53 PM
ill definitely check those out. I know i need a new heater, i dont trust the one i currently have. ill go take a look at the equipment thread. Right now, what kind of equipment i need has been the most confusing part.

tkeracer619
07/06/2015, 06:43 PM
:lol: you're in trouble.

6 months to go from a beta tank -> 6 tanks -> saltwater.

Give it a few years and you're going to be like me...........
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7474/15614403353_a5591061f4_c.jpg

I would consider getting a hob skimmer, there are some nice ones for that size tank.

At minimum I would look at a properly sized ehiem heater and a ranco etc temp controller. Overtemp from heaters sticking on is a common problem, especially in smaller tanks. This will safeguard your system. Set the heater at 80deg and the ranco to 77. This way the ranco does the heavy lifting and in the off chance the ranco fails or the temp probe comes out of the water the heater will keep the tank from over temping.

This is the ranco.
http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc111000000-digital-temperature-controller-p-86.html

The reason I say go HOB skimmer instead of a sump is by the time you get a good return pump, the plumbing, the HOB overflow, a skimmer that fits in a 10g (not many) you have spent a lot of cash. Might as well skip the sump.

All you really need is rock, some kind of circulation pump, a heater, skimmer or filter, and saltwater.

You will want a refractometer and 35ppt calibration fluid.

If you are going to keep coral you will need an appropriate light.

As far as test kits and supplements go that really depends what you are going to keep, water changes alone will likely be enough to keep the tank going for a while. Eventually you will want alk, ca, and nitrate test kits.

Welcome to RC and Reefkeeping! You'll love it :)

Martini5788
07/06/2015, 06:54 PM
Haha that sounds like me. My husband is about to completely lose his mind. Our house is like a petstore Hahahaha. Get on marine depot and bulk reef supply and look at the options. Then ask questions about the specific ones. What I can say, is that at the rate you are going, you will have a larger saltwater soon. So I would get an overrated skimmer. I would get one that is good for a 75 just in case.

fishresponse
07/06/2015, 10:40 PM
Love the story. I started off with a 10g freshwater then fast forward 24 years I have 150ish gal salt/reef setup. I would also recommend a HOB skimmer since anything of value and leave you some room to go bigger will be hard pressed to fit in the 10g sump. Eheim heaters are the best IMO. And you could get away with 1 AI prime led light. Also, be sure to get something good for flow. I recommend anything eheimfor a return pump and the ecotech quiet drive pumps are good for additional flow in the tank if money isn't an issue. Otherwise you could go with a jebao RW as a cheaper alternative.

asudavew
07/06/2015, 10:45 PM
I recommend starting with at least a 75 gallon tank.
The equipment costs won't be much more and your options for livestock much better.

Dkuhlmann
07/07/2015, 03:16 AM
Here is the HOB skimmer that I have and it's works wonderfully. I highly recommend it to you and anyone else that needs a HOB skimmer.

http://www.marineandreef.com/CPR_Bak_Pak_2_Bio_Filter_Protein_Skimmer_p/RCPR02071.htm?gclid=CjwKEAjw8e2sBRCYte6U3suRjFESJAB4gn_gvWpbTV3NTNfftMwI3IkueKGDgA7-98qwu7N93VaeLxoCutzw_wcB

Dkuhlmann
07/07/2015, 03:28 AM
Lighting is going to be your biggest issue. This will depend on what you want from your tank down the road in order for the expense to make any sense.

If all you want are fish then no big deal they are fairly cheap. If you want something to be able to keep an anemone for your clownfish then you are talking a lot more money but one that will also do well for most all soft corals as well as LPS. A good T5 4-6 bulb programmable system is ideal. The only drawback is you will be buying bulbs every 7-9 months at the long side more likely 6-8. The bulbs won't appear bad to you but your corals an anemone's will let you know.

Or you can buy one of the Chinese LED's sold on Ebay for about $83 I have a buddy with several of these and he has a side business of raising LED frags they work well without issue. Similar US brands are $300+ (I really hate not buying American but when you see this how can you?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/190999433320?lpid=82&chn=ps

shipping included and do well with it. IMO If I were starting out like you are I'd see two choices. Good used T5 HO 4-6 bulb depending on tank dimensions.

These for the Aquatic Life system in a 30" run About $300 ish with new bulbs (that $83 Chinese LED is looking pretty sweet isn't it, Oh I forgot to add that is shipping included !) I just found these while searching Google on sale!

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21460&cmpid=03cseYY&ref=XXXX&subref=AA&ref=6111&cmpid=03csegb&kpid=91691

Just remember nobody here is trying to sell you anything so we have nothing to gain but to help you for the sake of helping a fellow hobbyist.

toothybugs
07/07/2015, 05:42 AM
1) Decide what you want to keep. Honestly, for me, this was (and is) the hard part. I knew I wanted corals (zoas mainly) so I went that way. Now I have literally something of everything - bunch of zoas, few leathers, a nice sun colony, an anemone, a few SPS, and a bunch of LPS (chalices and acans, primarily). I need some gorgonians and a clam to round it out :p

If you want to go corals, great, just be ready for the extra equipment costs. Don't skimp on your lights, trust me - you will come back to pay for the difference in many ways, frustration probably the foremost thing that will bother you. Personally I would vote you pick up a pair of Kessil A160s but those along with the controller will be a hefty chunk right out of the gate. Going with the above LED from China is a decent way to start out. It should be stated there was recently a thread on how starting out with a coral tank is easier than a fish tank; it was a good thread with a lot of valid points. Read this (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2513610) first, then this www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2512609 Just something to consider.

2) Read this: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2512674

3) I think a 10 will be fine for your sump, it'll be tight but you should be able to do it. A Sicce 1.5 will make a great return and a space saver skimmer should have no issue fitting in your sump. I have a Magus Curve 5 in my little system at work and it's both quiet and surprisingly compact. The sump is a little bigger footprint than your 10 (I'm using a 20H) but there is a lot of space left over in my middle chamber.

4) Have fun, and take your time. Time is one thing you got in this game. No sense rushing through it.

Kahlypso
07/08/2015, 04:00 PM
wow that was alot of replies! thats what i get for not logging on for a few days lol. I would LOVE to get a bigger tank, trust me, but in my 1 bedroom apartment and the space the tank is in im pretty much at max capacity. My current fish (angelfish and german blue rams) take priority and they are getting upgraded to a 55 gallon within the week.

i am definitely willing to buy equipment that is rated for a larger tank, because it would save my money in the long run. im hoping to be buying a house within a few years, and then i will have no limit! (except for what my fiance can handle haha).

I have an idea of what i want to have in my tank. Because it is smaller, i know i am limited in choices, and im ok with that. I want to start with soft corals, and a pair of ocellaris clown fish. Maybe a few shrimp (theyre totally adorable, i have some freshwater red cherry shrimp, they are so entertaining, hilarious when they swim).

I want to start with a sump and all the basic equipment because i know eventually i will be upgrading. It would be nice to have the knowledge and experience about the equipment when the time comes.

I know i have alot more research and reading to do, and thank you all so much for your responses!

Kahlypso
07/08/2015, 06:59 PM
Ok just thought of a new question. I will be making a sump for my tank, either a 10 or 15 gallon (need to measure the 15 gallon tank to see if it will fit). So, I have no idea what return pump and overflow box I should get. How much gph? I've read that the overflow box (will be ho ) needs to be rated higher gph than the return pump. Is this true?

Also, how much over all gph turnover rate do I need in my 36 gallon tank? I've read anyway from 2x to 100x. Lol. Help!

fishresponse
07/08/2015, 10:58 PM
just saw that you're in KC also. Are you in northland or south?

Shawn O
07/09/2015, 08:09 AM
What this newbie has learned so far from RC:
1) Bigger is usually better.
2) Buy good quality equipment to save money in the long run.
3) Drilled and sumped is better than HOB to sump. (general consensus, due to less overflow risk)
4) Research every species before you buy, and buy appropriate to your tank size.
5) Always QT.
6) You can't have too much live rock.
7) Get your "significant other" interested in the hobby and you'll have an easier time upgrading and expanding your tank(s).
8) Post pictures.

As another poster said above: you can run it with a heater, hob skimmer, good lights and a HOB filter (my opinion) that you can add filter floss and media to.

rickztahone
07/12/2015, 10:15 AM
:lol: you're in trouble.

6 months to go from a beta tank -> 6 tanks -> saltwater.

Give it a few years and you're going to be like me...........
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7474/15614403353_a5591061f4_c.jpg

I would consider getting a hob skimmer, there are some nice ones for that size tank.

At minimum I would look at a properly sized ehiem heater and a ranco etc temp controller. Overtemp from heaters sticking on is a common problem, especially in smaller tanks. This will safeguard your system. Set the heater at 80deg and the ranco to 77. This way the ranco does the heavy lifting and in the off chance the ranco fails or the temp probe comes out of the water the heater will keep the tank from over temping.

This is the ranco.
http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc111000000-digital-temperature-controller-p-86.html

The reason I say go HOB skimmer instead of a sump is by the time you get a good return pump, the plumbing, the HOB overflow, a skimmer that fits in a 10g (not many) you have spent a lot of cash. Might as well skip the sump.

All you really need is rock, some kind of circulation pump, a heater, skimmer or filter, and saltwater.

You will want a refractometer and 35ppt calibration fluid.

If you are going to keep coral you will need an appropriate light.

As far as test kits and supplements go that really depends what you are going to keep, water changes alone will likely be enough to keep the tank going for a while. Eventually you will want alk, ca, and nitrate test kits.

Welcome to RC and Reefkeeping! You'll love it :)

I just wanted to inform others that when I hit the hyperlink to the website for the Ranco, I got a threat via our virus detector here at work. Got a call from IT directly, that was fun. Just be careful. It instantly made my computer run super slow.

Kahlypso
07/12/2015, 11:47 AM
well im glad i didnt click the link!

and heres an update, im actually going to checkout a 58 gallon drilled tank today, comes with my choice of a 20 long sump or a 29 gallon sump. hope its in good shape because that would save me so much time and its larger!

and fishresponse im in south kc in the suburbs. love kc!

tkeracer619
07/12/2015, 01:17 PM
I just wanted to inform others that when I hit the hyperlink to the website for the Ranco, I got a threat via our virus detector here at work. Got a call from IT directly, that was fun. Just be careful. It instantly made my computer run super slow.

Interesting but the site is legit. If it made your computer slow that was your antivirus bogging it down, likely because your IT department has everything locked down because they are overly paranoid about sites with links to other pages, pdf, and the other download links directly linked on that page...

Go with your IT department because of obvious reasons but the site is legit... there is nothing harmful on it and you should be running a temp controller with a heater. Not only will that site not give you a virus but it will also keep your tank from overheating due to a stuck on heater.

IT departments are usually not good for much anyways :lol:, they usually hire the lowest tier. I know people who own companies that have IT departments and I'm the one fixing their laptops on the side...

fishresponse
07/12/2015, 10:30 PM
and fishresponse im in south kc in the suburbs. love kc!

So Im assuming you've checked out Picassos and Aquarium Wholesale? In the northland, fistopia has some good deals. The best prices in town.

fishresponse
07/12/2015, 10:31 PM
*fishtopia

Kahlypso
07/13/2015, 01:52 PM
ive been to picasso and aquatic wholesale. Fishtopia is on my list. Picasso is really nice, and fish are really healthy, they are just really pricey there (even on freshwater fish, i bought my first german blue rams there). Aquatic wholesale is moving, and when i went i wasnt setting up a saltwater tank at the time, so i didnt pay much attention to the saltwater selection.

and i did purchase the 58 gallon tank, it came with a 20 gallon high sump. so excited for the bigger tank that will fit in my apartment! now im just on the lookout for a good protein skimmer and lights.

moondoggy4
07/13/2015, 08:51 PM
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.eshopps.com/products/proteinskimmer/insump/psk75/&sa=U&ved=0CD8QFjACahUKEwiM18WPztnGAhUOOIgKHbzJBYQ&sig2=cPyl7ITzNeJ66ErYolPstA&usg=AFQjCNExJKtL5KEVafROIT0M0KP3T5YV2Q

Look into the skimmer or something like it It should fit in your new sump easy

fishresponse
07/14/2015, 10:48 PM
I have found Picassos has a lot of ich in their tanks but as a LFS its hard to not have ich here and there. Fishtopia is on way home from work so I hit them up a few times a week. Almost thinking about getting a part time job just so I have more fish money :)

Kahlypso
07/17/2015, 09:09 AM
i went to fishtopia yesterday for the first time and bought some dry marco rock. that place is great!

and i literally just posted a thread asking if i should get a reef octopus 110 int skimmer or an eshopps psk 75 lol. my friend is selling his eshopps brand new in box. was wondering if they work well and if it is worth it.

fishresponse
07/19/2015, 10:22 PM
I've heard the reef octopus is a good unit but don't have experience with either model specifically.