PDA

View Full Version : Breeding bangai lower salinity?

codyreed29
07/07/2015, 06:04 PM
I have read that lowering salinity is a way to reduce stress.

So the fish I'm breeding are bangais they are going to have 5 here own tank with low flow and low light actinic only.

I am going to be feeding them all kinda good stuff oysters brine shrimp and black worms.

Going to be awesome can't wait to do this.

ichthyogeek
07/07/2015, 10:42 PM
At what salinity are you planning to breed your fish? From what I understand, fish are less stressed at lower salinities because 1) less salt in the water means more oxygen dissolved, and 2)the water is more isotonic to the fish at that point (not 100% isotonic, but more isotonic than water at 1.025 SG). Neither of which should be a problem if you're keeping up on water changes and have adequate filtration.

How big is the tank going to be?

Hmm...maybe add in some mysis or shrimp into that mix. Brine shrimp are like popcorn, filling but not very nutritious.

codyreed29
07/07/2015, 11:09 PM
It's a 30 gallon bb not sure on what deco I guess some floating plants and maybe a fake coral or nuthing.

I'm going to feed rotifires and smashed flakes into powder. For the first week or two with lots of small feeds 5 to 7 times a day.

Then blended enriched brine and flakes 2 times day with baby brine once a day for another week or two then on to regular feedings.

kizanne
07/08/2015, 06:50 AM
Mine really seem to like their fake urchin. If you are looking to reduce stress.

Good Luck I find breeding the most enjoyable hobby even though I'm not that good at it.

codyreed29
07/09/2015, 08:44 PM
Im giving mine half tnk shaded like a cave and im going to put 2 real pin cushion urchins.

kizanne
07/09/2015, 09:41 PM
Im giving mine half tnk shaded like a cave and im going to put 2 real pin cushion urchins.

You talking the parents or the babies?

My parents are in a 125 mixed tank. It's the babies that have a small fake urchin for their bare little larva tank (I just upgraded them to a 1.5 gallon tank).