PDA

View Full Version : Tips / Advice on starting and keep 300g tank

rj ripetide
07/08/2015, 06:49 PM
Hi
I'm switching from a 120g to a appox 300g tank here soon and looking for advise and tips on running a large system.
Basically do's and don'ts and what to watch out for.
I will have the display tank in my living room with the sump,refugium and equipment in the basement. I think I will end up with about 450-500g of water when all is said and done.
Thanks
Rj

ghellin
07/10/2015, 05:46 PM
Accessibility. Once you step up to a big boy tank make sure you have plenty of room in your sump to work and move about, as well as the ability to actually get into your tank to position corals, rock, and such. Nothing is worse than dropping something and having to remove canopies, lights, etc, to try to fish it out.

daveM100
07/10/2015, 05:57 PM
Don't buy a Marineland DD tank. To many failures cropping up.

rj ripetide
07/11/2015, 10:31 PM
Accessibility. Once you step up to a big boy tank make sure you have plenty of room in your sump to work and move about, as well as the ability to actually get into your tank to position corals, rock, and such. Nothing is worse than dropping something and having to remove canopies, lights, etc, to try to fish it out.

Got it.... Sump and refugium and extra tanks set up now in basement. Plenty of room to work around them.
Ready to move all contents of the 120g to basement so I'm able to set up the 300g. I haven't decided what lights to use as of yet. But no matter what light s, I still have to figure out how to hang them. I trying to avoid a canopy and like to slim/trim look. I have been using LED Maxspect Razor but it is only 4 foot. I have 3 Mh 400w fixtures and ballast but the fixture look crappy and would have to build a canopy. Really not looking to buy a new lighting fixture but maybe a used 6 foot LED/t-5 combo would be nice.

rj ripetide
07/11/2015, 10:33 PM
Don't buy a Marineland DD tank. To many failures cropping up.

I won't....
All ready have custom made all-glass with starfire glass on 3 sides that I got a really good deal on, used.