PDA

View Full Version : What size filter socks in sump

Nrupaw
07/09/2015, 10:56 AM
I am process of setting up a new 120 gal reef. Currently designing sump for it. I am stuck on the filter sock part.

I see that most common filter socks available are either 4 inches or 7 inches in diameter. I am trying to decide if i should go with 3 nos. 4 inch diameter socks or 2 nos. 7 inch diameter.

I do realize that choosing either configuration will lead to change in mu sump dimensions. thats fine because i am still drawing the design out.

What do you folks recommend? should i do 3 four-inch socks, or 2 seven-inch sock? Any particular advantages/disadvantages for either config?

thanks!

slief
07/09/2015, 12:17 PM
I would go with a pair of 7" ones as I think you will end up with a bit more surface space but two 7" vs three 4" is pretty close either way so I would make my decision vs convenience and sump design. I run four 7" ones in my system but I've got a large display and a very large sump that was designed around the socks and skimmer.

Nrupaw
07/09/2015, 12:31 PM
I would go with a pair of 7" ones as I think you will end up with a bit more surface space but two 7" vs three 4" is pretty close either way so I would make my decision vs convenience and sump design. I run four 7" ones in my system but I've got a large display and a very large sump that was designed around the socks and skimmer.

thanks. Yeah ease of maintenance definitely plays a big role in this decision.

my sump will probably be 16 or 17 inches deep, so thats why i have it narrowed down to either 3 four inch or 2 seven inch socks