PDA

View Full Version : new RODI or refurbish old one?

Devaji108
07/09/2015, 01:16 PM
OK another set back in the build. pulled out my 6 stage RODI unit only to find 2 of the canisters are cranked...been in storage for 2years now.

i replaced 1 canister when I thought i was going to set up a tank a year ago but could not.

anyway... so I would need 2 canisters, 3 filters prob. a good idea to replace RO membrane + the DI i remember this RO unit i believe 75 GPD was very high in wast water like 4 or 5 to 1. that is a guess but I do remember it being soooo slow.

so the question is to refurbish it or buy a nice new one?
its a pure water club from ebay

another question I have a BRS TDI meter hooked up they they ever need to be re-calibrated?
I have not tested my water and this place bit out of the tape it reading 80 t0 90 and out of a carbon filter I use for drinking ( NSA) reads 60 to 70.

this build will be a gorg. LPS softie tank filtered with an ATS. what TDS should I shoot for O?

FSUwxman
07/10/2015, 11:40 AM
If it were me I'd buy a nice new one. It all depends on $$ and priorities, though. If you have more pressing equipment matters refurb what you got.

Vinny Kreyling
07/10/2015, 11:40 AM
If it were me I would refurbish the unit with a 99% membrane from Spectrapure.
Get new gaskets for all the canisters too.
Sterilize the unit with bleach before using it too.
I have no answer on the meter but Spectrapure should know.
You can switch it to a water saver by going 2-1 waste also from them if you want to.

sleepydoc
07/10/2015, 04:06 PM
RO/DI filters aren't complex pieces of equipment, so refurbishing is a better option, assuming it doesn't cost more than it costs to get an entirely new unit.

Devaji108
07/11/2015, 01:29 AM
RO/DI filters aren't complex pieces of equipment, so refurbishing is a better option, assuming it doesn't cost more than it costs to get an entirely new unit.

I would have saved some $$ by refurbishing maybe 70 bucks to 100 if i went with cheaper filters from ebay but after taking to spectapure i went with a new filter unit.
this one:
http://spectrapure.com/RO-RODI/RODI-SYSTEMS/Chloramine-Removal-90-GPD-RO-DI-System

if my TDS miter is working right my out of tap is from 70-90 (i am on well water ) prob. don't need the chlormine carbon block but is nice to have that option when I move. but for now I can add a 1u micron prefilter if needed.

was a pretty good deal. all tho I did not budget this cost in to the build...and it will set me back a week. but that is my fault for not looking at it sooner. I just thought it was got.

Mark426
07/11/2015, 06:21 AM
If you can save enough money that it makes a significant difference to you then go ahead. Otherwise get a new one. To test your meter....use distilled water and look for a 0 TDS.

Devaji108
07/11/2015, 09:53 AM
^ oh nice idea thanks. yeah I went ahead and got a new one.