PDA

View Full Version : Next fish for my 33 gallon softie tank?

m3t411ic4
07/09/2015, 08:38 PM
I have a 33 gallon softie tank with only two fish so I'd like to add at least one more. Below are the fish that I'm considering along with a list of my current livestock and equipment. I'm looking for any thoughts about the fish I'm considering or other suggestions that would do well with other tank inhabitants. I'd really like a Purple Firefish or Royal Gramma, but it seems likely that they'd end up hiding or get bullied by my clown and/or pseudochromis. And are there any dwarf angels that wouldn't be likely to nip at my zoas or sympodium? I know many gobies and blennies would work well, but I'm looking for other ideas.

Considering (one or possibly two of the following):
Purple Firefish
Royal Gramma
Six Line Wrasse
Pajama Cardinal
Dwarf Angel

Current livestock:
12+ year-old Tomato Clown
5+ year-old Neon Pseudochromis
6 Peppermint Shrimp
Brittle star
Assortment of crabs and snails
Large Loco Lobo
A few Kenya Tree Corals
2 Unidentified leathers
Sympodium frag
4 zoa frags
~30 lbs LR
2 inches aragonite

Equipment:
33 gallon flat back hexagon
4.7 gallon HOB refugium
RapidLED Onyx
Coralife Super Skimmer 125
GFO in PhosBan Reactor 150

CoralNerd
07/09/2015, 08:44 PM
I for sure wouldn't go with a purple firefish. Maybe some other guys help further with your other alternatives listed.

Arc Katana
07/09/2015, 08:46 PM
What kind of Psuedo? If it is elongatus (Sp) should be fine.

Edit - just re-read list. Neon, like strawberry? Then the six line should be the one.

Genera
07/09/2015, 09:16 PM
I have a 33 gallon softie tank with only two fish so I'd like to add at least one more. Below are the fish that I'm considering along with a list of my current livestock and equipment. I'm looking for any thoughts about the fish I'm considering or other suggestions that would do well with other tank inhabitants. I'd really like a Purple Firefish or Royal Gramma, but it seems likely that they'd end up hiding or get bullied by my clown and/or pseudochromis. And are there any dwarf angels that wouldn't be likely to nip at my zoas or sympodium? I know many gobies and blennies would work well, but I'm looking for other ideas.

Considering (one or possibly two of the following):
Purple Firefish
Will be attacked by your current fish
Royal Gramma
Will most likely be attacked by your current fish
Six Line Wrasse
IME an aggressive fish in general, but may be attacked by your fish
Pajama Cardinal
Will be attacked by your current fish
Dwarf Angel
I don't think your tank is big enough for any but, C. Argi, C. Aurantonotus, or C. Acanthops, but your current fish may attack it.

Current livestock:
12+ year-old Tomato Clown
5+ year-old Neon Pseudochromis
6 Peppermint Shrimp
Brittle star
Assortment of crabs and snails
Large Loco Lobo
A few Kenya Tree Corals
2 Unidentified leathers
Sympodium frag
4 zoa frags
~30 lbs LR
2 inches aragonite

Equipment:
33 gallon flat back hexagon
4.7 gallon HOB refugium
RapidLED Onyx
Coralife Super Skimmer 125
GFO in PhosBan Reactor 150

The only fish I can think of that your fish would completely ignore (Neon Dottybacks are bastards!) & would fit in your tank, are Stippled Clingfish (Gobiesox Punctulatus). I had a pair of them that layed eggs once, and I had a Niger Trigger, Bicolor Dottyback, Green Spotted Puffer, and some kind of gray damselfish with a spot that I have yet to identify that killed 7 other fish. Those 4 fish could care less about the clingfish and their eggs. Clingfish are pretty hardy, and its really cool to see them stuck to the glass and their breeding habits. An article on Stippled Clingfish (http://en.microcosmaquariumexplorer.com/wiki/Breeding_the_Stippled_Clingfish)

m3t411ic4
07/10/2015, 08:19 AM
Anyone have experience with the Geometric Pygmy Perchlet (Plectranthias)? If so, would it work well in my tank?

Genera
07/10/2015, 08:55 AM
Anyone have experience with the Geometric Pygmy Perchlet (Plectranthias)? If so, would it work well in my tank?

I've never had one, but they fairly cryptic zooplanktivores that may attack other bottom dwelling fish such as blennies. Your larger, more aggressive fish will most likely bully it.