PDA

View Full Version : what lights are you guys running on your BioCubes?

HHIreefer843
07/10/2015, 07:50 AM
Hey guys. I am getting back in the hobby and thought I was going 40Breeder. Ive already bought it at petco with their $1/gallon. I was planning on running a HOB skimmer that I havent purchase. Ordered lights (I can return) and still need a power head.

With all of that being said, I ran across a 28gallon biocube with every including a Aquatic Life Skimmer (will upgrade.) I have gotten them down to $250.

My question is....What lights are you guys running? I want to do a mixed reef with SOME sps up top. The Biocube comes with 4 panorama pro strips. I am not sure of the colors. I didnt ask,....:mad2: Will this be enough to support some/most LPS?? I know they are a bit out dated...

BarryV
07/10/2015, 08:10 AM
I am running Nanobox LED retro kit. Great LED's It will set you back just under $400.00.
Barry

ReefWreak
07/10/2015, 08:14 AM
Hey guys. I am getting back in the hobby and thought I was going 40Breeder. Ive already bought it at petco with their $1/gallon. I was planning on running a HOB skimmer that I havent purchase. Ordered lights (I can return) and still need a power head.

With all of that being said, I ran across a 28gallon biocube with every including a Aquatic Life Skimmer (will upgrade.) I have gotten them down to $250.

My question is....What lights are you guys running? I want to do a mixed reef with SOME sps up top. The Biocube comes with 4 panorama pro strips. I am not sure of the colors. I didnt ask,....:mad2: Will this be enough to support some/most LPS?? I know they are a bit out dated...

So I have a 29g biocube, that came with 3 panorama pro light bars (2xwhite/blue, 1xblue/magenta) and the coralvue controller.

That lighting definitely supported any corals I wanted when cranked up to 100%, including SPS (birdsnest and stylo) towards the bottom of the tank. THAT BEING SAID, I upgraded to the RapidLED retrofit kit (~$200) because I wanted DIY full spectrum LEDs and the ability to tweak color at the individual LED level, and I'm entirely happy with my decision, and they program right into my reefkeeper as well.

Also, the Aquaticlife 115 skimmer is surprisingly good for a nano skimmer. I have a Tunze that I'm waiting for magnets for, but I just want to run them next to each other to compare performance. I have been very happy with the performance so far.

You should check out my build thread to see what I've done with a similar looking cube. I think you'll like it, and hopefully it adds some direction to what you're looking at/for.

donut0079
07/10/2015, 09:17 AM
I haven't upgraded yet but am looking into the rapid led kit which runs about 200 dollars and gets you 24 cre LEDs

Webmanny
07/10/2015, 11:58 AM
I did this and it will not cost you over $100.00. Plus you get dimmers and color control. Good luck!!!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2463570

HHIreefer843
07/10/2015, 12:27 PM
Awesome. Thanks for all the replies. I think I might go the biocube route and take back the 40 breeder....Decisions decisions.

If so. I will keep the strips until the cycle is complete then probably upgrade the LEDS.

JakeK
07/12/2015, 06:05 PM
I bought the 14,000K full spectrum retro-fit kit from StevesLEDs. I haven't installed them yet as I'm trying to figure out the controller. Can't contribute beyond that at the moment.

homer1475
07/12/2015, 06:45 PM
RapidLED aurora puck retrofit kit, controlled via apex.

While I like the light it provides the corals, and they seem to like it too. I don't like aesthetically how with the puck being so small, it leaves quite a bit of shadows on the edges, and the center is super bright.

ReefWreak
07/13/2015, 08:36 AM
I bought the 14,000K full spectrum retro-fit kit from StevesLEDs. I haven't installed them yet as I'm trying to figure out the controller. Can't contribute beyond that at the moment.

Jake, feel free to drop me a PM (or start a thread and I'll check it out) if you have any questions. I haven't done Steve's kit, but have learned a lot about LED setups, so hopefully I can help.

RapidLED aurora puck retrofit kit, controlled via apex.

While I like the light it provides the corals, and they seem to like it too. I don't like aesthetically how with the puck being so small, it leaves quite a bit of shadows on the edges, and the center is super bright.

Sorry to hear that. That's what I was worried about. Do they include lenses on the Aurora kits (wide or narrow)? I wonder if a wide angle (or no lens at all) would help?

homer1475
07/14/2015, 03:54 PM
You can buy a wide angle lens, but rapid said it wasn't needed in the biocube. I might buy one just to see how it looks.

ShesEasy
07/14/2015, 04:03 PM
Not a biocube but I've got a 1 cubic foot Nano I run a kessiel 150 on.... Plenty of good light

Cabo2008
07/14/2015, 05:48 PM
Running a Kessil 360 we Tuna Blue on my BC29.

Went to that after trying out the Rapidled retrofit aurora puck kit. I'm much happier with the Kessil....not that there's anything wrong with the kit, it's great....just not for me.

.Renegade
07/14/2015, 06:30 PM
just purchased a kessil a360we for my 29 gallon and love it so far

WDKegge
07/16/2015, 09:24 PM
Radion xr15w pro, little bit on the higher end of the price range, but awesome light.

Justintegra
07/17/2015, 07:00 AM
Running a Kessil 360 we Tuna Blue on my BC29.

Went to that after trying out the Rapidled retrofit aurora puck kit. I'm much happier with the Kessil....not that there's anything wrong with the kit, it's great....just not for me.

Can you elaborate? I'm looking into the Aurora puck kit myself now. What about it turned you are that the Kessil filled?

Cabo2008
07/17/2015, 07:11 AM
Can you elaborate? I'm looking into the Aurora puck kit myself now. What about it turned you are that the Kessil filled?

Sure thing.

I know many folks like/want/need to tweak every little setting in their lighting and I definitely understand the reasoning behind it. The kit allows you to do this and actually pretty much requires it. I prefer something a little more "user friendly", for lack of a better word, in this case (not with everything.....but specifically with lighting).

With the Kessil and their Spectral controller, it allows for all the adjustments I need and is just an easier way to manage my lighting. It really is just a personal preference.

Justintegra
07/17/2015, 07:29 AM
I understand that. I think my preferences are similar to yours. My only issue with the Kessil is I really want to keep the cover on my tank, and I don't believe that fits inside a stripped hood.

Jandawil
07/17/2015, 09:34 AM
I went with the OceanRevive T247 for my JBJ 30 rimless. Great light for a very nice price.