PDA

View Full Version : Maze Brain and Sand

probak
07/10/2015, 02:55 PM
I have a maze brain (Platygyra sp.) frag, about 3 inches square that my Wheeler's shrimp goby and striped pistol shrimp seem to be having a love/hate thing with. The goby likes to perch on the edge of the frag (it's as long as the coral) and that all seems cool. But the pistol shrimp is forever throwing sand up onto the frag. The coral tissue swells and pushes the sand off, but this is nearly constant and I wonder if in the long run it might be detrimental to the coral?
I've moved the frag 3 times now in the past 4 months to try to find a shrimp-free zone, but amazingly the goby and shrimp will relocate to where the coral is. The coral seems in good shape and is slowly growing, but it will be a long time before it's big enough to not get sand kicked in its face, and I have not seen any good Charles Atlas routines for invertebrates.
I think right now it is probably worse to keep trying to move the coral than to leave it within striking distance of the shrimp, but was wondering if anyone had any cautionary tales about corals being damaged or killed by this kind of activity?

Phil

cloak
07/10/2015, 03:05 PM
How big is your tank? If you've got the space maybe get one of those really small clay pots and put it in your tank. If you can though, flip it upside down and try to break a little door in the pot. Perhaps the goby and the shrimp will make this their home & leave the coral alone. GL.

rt67ghy
07/11/2015, 07:03 AM
The coral could become stressed and be affected. You could place it on a small rock which keeps it above the sand bed