PDA

View Full Version : Does your glass tank bow?

cnreef
07/10/2015, 07:26 PM
Sooo I've just noticed by looking at my tank from the proper angle that I can see it bowing up at the top. It's a 29g glass tank purchased from a $ per gallon sale, I believe. The tank itself is only 2-3 years old. I'm curious if this is normal and if it is, how much bowing is ok and at what point should there be concern?

Thanks!

BleuFish
07/10/2015, 07:39 PM
My 75 acrylic doesn't bow from what I can tell. I had a glass 55 years back that bowed. The center brace brook, and some time passed. Left it like that for a year and nothing happened before upgrading to a 75 fw setup. your miles may very though

KingTriton1
07/10/2015, 07:54 PM
I had a 29 gallon tetra from petco that did the exact same thing in the middle. It worried me as well.

toomany
07/10/2015, 09:38 PM
I too had a 55 that bowed from a broken center brace. I fixed that before it gave me any problems. Aren't 55's made with thinner glass? At least that is what I have been told.

My 4x2x2 glass 120 doesn't bow and has no center brace.

Sk8r
07/10/2015, 09:40 PM
A material like glass can bow, but when it reaches a critical point it will snap. It would scare the daylights out of me. If it is rimless. you might try creating a rim out of aluminum channeling, (Lowes') ---it won't corrode. Might paint it. If you lower the water level, put it on, then rewater, it might hold it straight. I had to do that with my acrylic rimless sump.

Rob6311
07/10/2015, 09:47 PM
Sooo I've just noticed by looking at my tank from the proper angle that I can see it bowing up at the top. It's a 29g glass tank purchased from a $ per gallon sale, I believe. The tank itself is only 2-3 years old. I'm curious if this is normal and if it is, how much bowing is ok and at what point should there be concern?

Thanks!

While glass can bow slightly it could not hold its bow so it would not be possible to bow over time, so my suggestion would be to take a lot of some water out of the tank and see if it goes back if it doesn't it would have to be a manufacturer mistake while making the tank. I can not vouch for the structural integrity of the tank because if it's not meant to be a bow front then in my opinion it should not bow but since it has held up for 2-3 years you should be fine

buildinboats
07/11/2015, 04:37 AM

Thanks!

My 72" rimmed glass 150 is bowed like a banana from the day it was filled 20+ years ago.

Mark426
07/11/2015, 06:11 AM
Most all the bargain priced tanks will bow. I wouldnt worry about it too much.

joshky
07/11/2015, 07:22 AM
My 72" rimmed glass 150 is bowed like a banana from the day it was filled 20+ years ago.

Wow that is scary, and wow 20 years, I would have never thought a bow that bad could hold.

Vinny Kreyling
07/11/2015, 08:34 AM
Had an older 220 made by a reputable mfg. that bowed with 5/8" glass.