PDA

View Full Version : Help needed! Cupramine and Praziquantel

VJV
07/11/2015, 02:07 PM
Hi, I bought a powder blue tang and put it quarantine as I do all my fish. After one week it started flashing its fins a lot and rubbing against the PVC pipes and just about any hard surface he can find. I do not see any white spots so not sure if it is Ich or velvet. The fish is still eating ok.

Unsure whether this may be flukes or ich, I had to decide whether to use praziquantel for flukes or Cupramine for ich or velvet. Since I understand the last two are a lot more deadly than flukes I decided to go with Cupramine. I am currently at the 0,25 dose and tomorrow will bring it up to the recommended 0,50, but thus far the fish continues to flash and rub.

So the question is this: can I perform a praziquantel bath (in a bucket outside of the QT) to cater for potential flukes as well or can praziquantel interact with the Cupramine and transform it into something toxic, and potentially kill the fish?

Note that the bath would be performed in a separate bucket with fresh water (no Cupramine) but even so I was wondering if there could still be some toxic interaction as some copper may have already been "absorbed" by the organism of the PB?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Kind regards

PS: the praziquantel I use actually Treamazol, from Sera. It is meant for flukes (both skin and gill) and the composition is 7,42g of praziquantel per 100ml. Not sure if it has any other substances though.