PDA

View Full Version : All my work and system leaks like a sieve.

Bent
07/11/2015, 04:28 PM
Argh.

I went through this build, freshwater tested it, and it leaks pretty much everywhere that isn't cemented. Anything that's threaded leaks despite hoards of tape, bulkheads leak at the nut side despite tightening, loosening and everything in between.

What. Am. I. Doing. Wrong?

The bulkheads leak on the nut side in both the display tank, and a few on the sump. The one on my RO container leaks too.

A few fittings that thread into the bulkheads leak too.

I guess I'm going to chuck it all and start over, unless someone has a simpler solution.

ericarenee
07/11/2015, 04:42 PM
Some pics would help.. You are putting the Rubber seals on the outside under the nut right. and throw that teflon away get some plumbers putty or brush on thread sealer.. With teflon if you wrap too much it will leak as well.
Also as far as Bulkheads. if you have the system hard plumbed if there is any resistance say a pipe pulling or pushing on the bulkhead it will cause it to leak as well..

Hope this helps...

mygsris2slo4u
07/11/2015, 05:22 PM
On the bulkheads:
1. Only use 1 gasket
2. Install gasket on the inside of the tank. The nut on the outside should be touching glass.
3. Make sure the gasket, bulkhead and glass are clean prior to installation.
4. Go about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn past hand tight and you should have no issues.

On the threaded fittings.
1. Use teflon tape and putty.
2. Use 3-5 wraps and get all the threads.
3.Make sure you wrap the tape in the correct direction so that it does not come undone when threading the fittings together.

I've had no issues with bulkheads or threaded fittings following the above.:thumbsup:

Bent
07/11/2015, 05:22 PM
My build thread is here if you want to take some time to read through it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2408472

I've got the rubber gaskets on the flange side. Do I also need them on the nut side?

I always thought the Teflon tape was the way to go, I guess I'll be redoing it.

ericarenee
07/11/2015, 05:49 PM
My build thread is here if you want to take some time to read through it.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2408472

I've got the rubber gaskets on the flange side. Do I also need them on the nut side?

I always thought the Teflon tape was the way to go, I guess I'll be redoing it.

You are right on a standard bulkhead.. The ones i use the Gasket has to go on the outside as they are 3 pieces the inside threads will leak other wise..
Sometimes you gotta get the gasket just right to prevent them from leaking.But for sure plumbers putty on the threads.. especially ABS As it breaks if you use too much teflon

ca1ore
07/11/2015, 05:56 PM
For single gasket bulkheads the rubber gasket goes with/under the flange, regardless of whether said flange is inside, outside, wetside or dry!!!!!!!

I have always used Teflon tape without issue. You just have to careful that you don't use too much and crack a fitting. Tail threads on most ABS bulkheads are 'looser' than most PVC threads, so often require more Teflon tape wraps.

Bent
07/11/2015, 06:01 PM
You are right on a standard bulkhead.. The ones i use the Gasket has to go on the outside as they are 3 pieces the inside threads will leak other wise..
Sometimes you gotta get the gasket just right to prevent them from leaking.But for sure plumbers putty on the threads.. especially ABS As it breaks if you use too much teflon

So looks like I'm taking the bulkheads off and doing this over.

So thread sealant on the threads and take the tape off.

Is there anything I can do with the bulkheads to make 100% sure they won't leak again?

richieii
07/11/2015, 06:03 PM
Quick tip, I only use new gaskets cuz used ones could have a memory and can leak

daveM100
07/11/2015, 06:27 PM
I always use tephlon, wrap 8 times clockwise. So if you have your pipe with the thread end facing you, wrap clockwise. A bit of aquarium safe silicone with the tape doesn't hurt either. As mentioned above do not over tighten your bulkheads or you'll cause the seals to bulge, or even tear. Tight doesn't stop leaks, the seal stops the water and it just needs something to hold it firmly in place, the flange. If your bulkhead comes with one seal use one seal, if two then two. And yes once you use a gasket, don't reuse. Also, make sure you have the right size bulkheads, if the holes to big you'll leak.

ericarenee
07/11/2015, 06:30 PM
So looks like I'm taking the bulkheads off and doing this over.

So thread sealant on the threads and take the tape off.

Is there anything I can do with the bulkheads to make 100% sure they won't leak again?

That is what i do . Rather its a Bulk head or Sink drain line or trap...Be sure the tank gasket and gasket flange on bulkhead is clean and burr free.... Put gasket on flange and push thru holding it center of the hole and screw the nut on.. Sometimes a teflon coated paper washer helps the nutt spin and not turn the bulkhead.. You want to be sure the bulkhead does not turn or twist on the gasket...
then use pipe thread sealant or plumbers putty.. i think the stuff you brush on its easier to use then putty...

Bent
07/11/2015, 07:41 PM
So tomorrow here's my plan of attack.

1: trip to lowes (yet again) for some thread sealant and silicone.
2: unscrew the nut off the offending bulkheads, grab a pipe wrench and unscrew the bulkhead from the piping.
3: inspect the gaskets and mating surfaces inside the tank.
4: put some thread sealant on the piping, use the ole pipe wrench and screw the bulkheads back on the piping.
5: put a small bit of silicone around the nut side of the bulkhead and tighten down the nut.

Then maybe the leaks will stop. And I can actually start thinking about putting some freaking saltwater in this saltwater tank.

ericarenee
07/11/2015, 07:58 PM
So tomorrow here's my plan of attack.

1: trip to lowes (yet again) for some thread sealant and silicone.
2: unscrew the nut off the offending bulkheads, grab a pipe wrench and unscrew the bulkhead from the piping.
3: inspect the gaskets and mating surfaces inside the tank.
4: put some thread sealant on the piping, use the ole pipe wrench and screw the bulkheads back on the piping.
5: put a small bit of silicone around the nut side of the bulkhead and tighten down the nut.

Then maybe the leaks will stop. And I can actually start thinking about putting some freaking saltwater in this saltwater tank.

----------------------------------- STOP----------------------------------
Number 2 and 4 has a flaw... The pipe wrench should not be needed .Those should be hand tightened only. You are prob squeezing the gaskets too tight..

The rest of the plan seems solid...

daveM100
07/11/2015, 08:04 PM
Need to go at least a 1/4 turn past hand tight. You don't want vibrations or an accidental knock on your pipes to move the bulkheads. So yes use a pipe wrench, but just a 1/4 - 1/2 turn.

ericarenee
07/11/2015, 08:09 PM
Need to go at least a 1/4 turn past hand tight. You don't want vibrations or an accidental knock on your pipes to move the bulkheads. So yes use a pipe wrench, but just a 1/4 - 1/2 turn.

that scares me . i would say a Pair of Channel locks... i once busted a 800.00 toilet with a pipe wrench putting gasket flange on tank. OOPS... DUMB Erica..

Bent
07/11/2015, 08:12 PM
----------------------------------- STOP----------------------------------
Number 2 and 4 has a flaw... The pipe wrench should not be needed .Those should be hand tightened only. You are prob squeezing the gaskets too tight..

The rest of the plan seems solid...

No no, you misunderstand.

I need the pipe wrench to unscrew the bulkhead from the threaded piping, not for the nut.

daveM100
07/11/2015, 08:46 PM
hehe pipe wrench, channel locks, they both work.

sleepydoc
07/11/2015, 09:42 PM
Erica has it right. PVC threads (NPT/FPT/MPT) are tapered threads - they get wider as you go back from the mouth of the fitting. This means that the male fitting puts outward pressure on the female fitting as you scew it in. Particularly with the ABS bulkheads, if you screw a male pvc fitting too tight it will crack the bulkhead.

daveM100
07/11/2015, 09:48 PM
Erica has it right. PVC threads (NPT/FPT/MPT) are tapered threads - they get wider as you go back from the mouth of the fitting. This means that the male fitting puts outward pressure on the female fitting as you scew it in. Particularly with the ABS bulkheads, if you screw a male pvc fitting too tight it will crack the bulkhead.

Yup, been there done that lol.

kegogut
07/11/2015, 09:59 PM
At least its the threaded parts and you can unscrew them and try again. my first time i had a few glued joints leaking which meant cutting it out and starting over, was a big PITA

daveM100
07/11/2015, 10:31 PM
At least its the threaded parts and you can unscrew them and try again. my first time i had a few glued joints leaking which meant cutting it out and starting over, was a big PITA

LOL, sucks doesn't it, but I still prefer the slips over threads.

igadget56
07/12/2015, 12:37 AM
Use a little silicone grease on the bulkhead washer.

lastpikd
07/12/2015, 04:01 PM
On the bulkheads:
1. Only use 1 gasket
2. Install gasket on the inside of the tank. The nut on the outside should be touching glass.
3. Make sure the gasket, bulkhead and glass are clean prior to installation.
4. Go about a 1/4 to 1/2 turn past hand tight and you should have no issues.

On the threaded fittings.
1. Use teflon tape and putty.
2. Use 3-5 wraps and get all the threads.
3.Make sure you wrap the tape in the correct direction so that it does not come undone when threading the fittings together.

I've had no issues with bulkheads or threaded fittings following the above.:thumbsup:

This is good advice for aquarium and General plumbing. Also, one thing that I would add, for unions flow should be going into the male side of the Union. The Union nut tightens onto the male side of the fitting.

I hope that isn't to confusing.

Bent
07/12/2015, 04:43 PM
Ok...so I'm a moron.

In my efforts today to fix my leaks, I noticed that I forgot to cement the drain lines after I dry fitted them. *facepalm*

So now that I've glued them I'm going to retry this. God I'm stupid.

ericarenee
07/12/2015, 04:50 PM
Ok...so I'm a moron.

In my efforts today to fix my leaks, I noticed that I forgot to cement the drain lines after I dry fitted them. *facepalm*

Call me GODDESS PLEASE... And naaa i have done that before. Stupid is such a ill word....

Hope you got it all fixed now...:thumbsup:

Bent
07/12/2015, 05:45 PM
She seems to be working swimmingly now! Other than the fact I have to suck start the siphon stand pipe for some strange reason. But that's another problem for another day.

I'm going to let the system circulate for A few days with the ole garden hose water and make sure there are no more wrinkles, try to figure out what's up with the BA drain not siphoning, then I should be ready to fill with R/o.

EagleFF
07/12/2015, 06:02 PM
So how is it going now Bent?

daveM100
07/12/2015, 06:21 PM
Ok...so I'm a moron.

ROFL I think we've all done this at one time or other!!! I know I have, especially when your in a hurry to get it finished and filled!

Bent
07/12/2015, 06:38 PM
So how is it going now Bent?

So far so good. No leaks yet.

On the agenda now is:
1: let the water run for a few days and make sure there aren't any slow leaks.
2: drain and clean the system.
3: build a lid for the stock tank.
4: wire everything up.
5: buy some sand and rock and start aquascaping.
6: buy a light for the display.

Then finally I'll be ready to fill and start cycling.

What is everyone's opinion on cycling with fish store live rock?

EagleFF
07/12/2015, 06:45 PM
I am glad you got it all sorted out
I used it 20 lb uncured 40 lb cured for my 61 gal tank, worked great for me, I'll be using dry live rock in the 190,

kegogut
07/12/2015, 07:07 PM
Glad you got it fixed and running!

slief
07/12/2015, 07:10 PM
Argh.

I went through this build, freshwater tested it, and it leaks pretty much everywhere that isn't cemented. Anything that's threaded leaks despite hoards of tape, bulkheads leak at the nut side despite tightening, loosening and everything in between.

What. Am. I. Doing. Wrong?

The bulkheads leak on the nut side in both the display tank, and a few on the sump. The one on my RO container leaks too.

A few fittings that thread into the bulkheads leak too.

I guess I'm going to chuck it all and start over, unless someone has a simpler solution.

Your issue is the teflon tape. If you use too much or too little, the fittings will leak. I stopped using teflon tape years ago in favor of teflon paste. It works much better. Just apply it liberally to the threads making sure to fill the threads completely from top to bottom. Some apply it to the male and female threads. I only apply it to the male threads and I NEVER ever have leaks. Never.

As for the bulkheads, I use a thin coat of silicone grease on the gasket. Gasket always goes on the flange side and make sure the ridge side of the gasket goes against the tank. Lastly, don't overtighten the bulkhead nuts. If the gasket starts protruding past the flange of the bulkhead, you have the nut too tight. I get them as tight as I can by hand and then use a wrench to turn them 1/4-1/2 turn and I watch the gasket to make sure it doesn't protrude. If it does, I will back off the nut a tiny bit.

guserto4
07/12/2015, 08:44 PM
any time anything live goes in a tank (for me) it gets to go through QT. if you cycle with some LR from the LFS I'd let the tank fallow while cycling- ie cycle for 12 weeks. You have no idea what kind of critters are in the rock and while the LFS may be reputable, their business model is get stuff out the door as soon as it goes on the shelf. That generally means their own QT process (if any) is lacking.

I'd go with dead rock and some ammonia or shrimp. It's cheaper, helps build patience, and is 'safer' as it limits the hitchikers into the system.

Bent
07/12/2015, 09:06 PM
any time anything live goes in a tank (for me) it gets to go through QT. if you cycle with some LR from the LFS I'd let the tank fallow while cycling- ie cycle for 12 weeks. You have no idea what kind of critters are in the rock and while the LFS may be reputable, their business model is get stuff out the door as soon as it goes on the shelf. That generally means their own QT process (if any) is lacking.

I'd go with dead rock and some ammonia or shrimp. It's cheaper, helps build patience, and is 'safer' as it limits the hitchikers into the system.

Gotcha, I'll probably go that route, that was my original plan. I was merely spitballing.

So if you buy a chunk of LR from the fish store you still put it in the QT?