PDA

View Full Version : Does this exist?

tidus10
07/12/2015, 04:52 PM
So i have a slip to slip bulkhead, which im not a fan of... what can i do to save the bulkhead if I ever want to switch it out for some reason? any fitting that will make it so i dont have to glue the PVC inside the bulkhead?

ericarenee
07/12/2015, 04:54 PM
a rubber boot on the outside of it with a clamp.. just do not over tighten the clamp...

tidus10
07/12/2015, 04:59 PM
a rubber boot on the outside of it with a clamp.. just do not over tighten the clamp...

im not really a fan of that idea..

ericarenee
07/12/2015, 05:02 PM
im not really a fan of that idea..
There are not many other option's unless you glue a threaded adapter inside the bulkhead. That would reduce flow. You could use vinyl tubing ti the sump that fits over bulkhead as well with clamp

Bent
07/12/2015, 05:48 PM
Why not just glue a tiny piece of PVC to each side and then glue two female slip to thread adapters on each end?

Bent
07/12/2015, 05:52 PM
You can also get some hdpe tape, wrap it around the male slip end, coat it with some silicone lube and push it together.

tkeracer619
07/12/2015, 06:02 PM
Yeah, get a threaded bulkhead :)

daveM100
07/12/2015, 06:18 PM
Can always get a bigger pipe to screw on the outside threads.

slief
07/12/2015, 06:47 PM

That is how I did my pair of 2" drains on my tank. The bulk heads are 1.5" and I used a 2" threaded to slip coupling to go over each of the two drain bulkheads. I used liberal amounts Teflon Paste to seal the threads and insure they didn't leak. I did this intentionally for this very reason so I wouldn't have to worry about swapping bulkheads while also saving a bit of space with the fittings. On a drain it's not a big deal but on a pressured line such as a return line or closed loop, I would never condone doing this. Keep in mind though that the outer threads on the bulkheads are not pipe fittings. As such, you risk stripping out the bulkhead if you tighten the threaded fitting too much. I've had my drains setup this way for many years without an issue or a leak.

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/image_zpskx4f2j9p.jpg

daveM100
07/12/2015, 06:54 PM
That is how I did my pair of 2" drains on my tank. The bulk heads are 1.5" and I used a 2" threaded to slip coupling to go over each of the two drain bulkheads. I used liberal amounts Teflon Paste to seal the threads and insure they didn't leak. I did this intentionally for this very reason so I wouldn't have to worry about swapping bulkheads while also saving a bit of space with the fittings. On a drain it's not a big deal but on a pressured line such as a return line or closed loop, I would never condone doing this. Keep in mind though that the outer threads on the bulkheads are not pipe fittings. As such, you risk stripping out the bulkhead if you tighten the threaded fitting too much. I've had my drains setup this way for many years without an issue or a leak.

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/image_zpskx4f2j9p.jpg

Yes do not do it that way on a return, just a drain where there's no pressure. How's it goin Scott, hot today isn't it lol.

slief
07/12/2015, 07:04 PM
How's it goin Scott, hot today isn't it lol.

Not too shabby although I'd rather be fishing! :thumbsup: Not too hot out here. Right around 80 which is heaven for this time of year.. How about yourself?

daveM100
07/12/2015, 07:46 PM
75 here now lol, still feels hot though. Getting a coastal breeze now, feels good.

sleepydoc
07/12/2015, 08:52 PM

This depends on your bulkheads. You cannot, in general, assume that the bulkhead threads are the same pitch and diameter as a PVC fitting. I've heard some storis like slief's where it worked, and many others where it hasn't. Regardless, the advice not to use it for a return is sound.

your two best options are to glue a threaded pvc adapter, or get a new bulkhead. Honestly, IME, the need to take apart your drain system is not that common. People tend to spend far more time worrying about the possibility than actually needing to do it. I would go ahead and use the slip fittings. If you need to take things apart in the future, you can cut the pipe and add a union.

One positive of slip fittings - they tend to be far more reliable.

fishgate
07/13/2015, 08:07 AM
You guys are missing the obvious! Use the below PVC compression fitting with a short stub pipe.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21LMsRLk51L.jpg

tidus10
07/13/2015, 08:13 AM
This will be for my bean animal.. im not sure if that will make a difference or not for anymore.. so it will have to be air tight and handle a small vacuum pressure

fishgate
07/13/2015, 08:19 AM
This will be for my bean animal.. im not sure if that will make a difference or not for anymore.. so it will have to be air tight and handle a small vacuum pressure

I use three of the above for my bean animal setup. Works perfect!

http://imagehost.calabro.us/images/aquarium/saltwater/ba1.JPG

BlackTip
07/13/2015, 08:21 AM
I did my pluming with thread/thread bulkheads. If I'd do it again, I'd choose slip/slip. Threaded connections are pain to get it not to leak.

My two cents.

dbulick
07/13/2015, 08:22 AM
They aren't exactly THAT expensive if you needed to replace them down the line for some reason or another. I personally prefer slip, seems to work better and be more fail safe.

tidus10
07/13/2015, 08:34 AM
They aren't exactly THAT expensive if you needed to replace them down the line for some reason or another. I personally prefer slip, seems to work better and be more fail safe.

i agree, its truly not that expensive. But if i ever have to move the tank or anything like that, I dont want to have to cut bulkheads and stuff, id prefer to just be able to take them off and go about my day..

sleepydoc
07/13/2015, 10:03 AM
The compression repair fittings posted above work, but are sensitive to torque, so you need to make sure that they are well supported to avoid leaks.

In my experience, moving a tank is an all day/weekend process at best. You're better off focusing on reliability and function now more than ease of disassembly.

KStatefan
07/13/2015, 11:16 AM
So i have a slip to slip bulkhead, which im not a fan of... what can i do to save the bulkhead if I ever want to switch it out for some reason? any fitting that will make it so i dont have to glue the PVC inside the bulkhead?

You could cut the glued pvc out of the bulkhead then reuse the bulkhead.

fishgate
07/13/2015, 11:44 AM
The compression repair fittings posted above work, but are sensitive to torque, so you need to make sure that they are well supported to avoid leaks.

In my experience, moving a tank is an all day/weekend process at best. You're better off focusing on reliability and function now more than ease of disassembly.

FYI: Those compression fittings have a LOT of rubber on the seals (almost an inch thick). They have a really strong, solid seal. It is very close to a solid piece of pipe.

fishgate
07/13/2015, 11:46 AM
You could cut the glued pvc out of the bulkhead then reuse the bulkhead.

I don't think this is possible. The bond between pieces is chemical - like I think it is actually melted together.

KStatefan
07/13/2015, 11:50 AM
I don't think this is possible. The bond between pieces is chemical - like I think it is actually melted together.

You use a tool to cut it out.

http://www.reedmfgco.com/assets/Images/Products/Plastic-Pipe-Tools/Plastic-Pipe-Fitting-Reamers/_resampled/SetRatioSize360300-PPR300.jpg

fishgate
07/13/2015, 12:39 PM
You use a tool to cut it out.

http://www.reedmfgco.com/assets/Images/Products/Plastic-Pipe-Tools/Plastic-Pipe-Fitting-Reamers/_resampled/SetRatioSize360300-PPR300.jpg

Seems like an awful lot of trouble for a $5 bulkhead.

ca1ore
07/13/2015, 01:15 PM
Penny wise; pound foolish! Personally, I prefer slip bulkheads - less to go wrong. So, either buy threaded bulkheads, or accept that they are cheap and sacrificed if anything needs to be moved.

KStatefan
07/13/2015, 01:22 PM
Seems like an awful lot of trouble for a $5 bulkhead.

I agree.

uncleof6
07/16/2015, 04:43 AM
You can also get some hdpe tape, wrap it around the male slip end, coat it with some silicone lube and push it together.

Recipe for a flood! Glue it or get a threaded bulkhead, don't try shortcuts. Quite honestly, the cost of bulkheads is insignificant compared to the total REAL cost of putting up a system. It is rather pointless to worry over such trivial things, and risking floods and/or other disasters.

Mark426
07/16/2015, 05:45 AM
Yeah, get a threaded bulkhead :)

Waters40
07/16/2015, 11:38 AM
I agree.

Plus, even after cutting it out, I still don't think it will be reusable. The fit between the two pieces needs to be pretty snug since the pvc is actually softened and melted together. Once you cut it, you will lose a little in the diameter size....if I had to guess, it would probably leak.

KStatefan
07/16/2015, 12:03 PM
Plus, even after cutting it out, I still don't think it will be reusable. The fit between the two pieces needs to be pretty snug since the pvc is actually softened and melted together. Once you cut it, you will lose a little in the diameter size....if I had to guess, it would probably leak.

They are reusable after but I would never do that to reuse a bulkhead.

skeeter_ca
07/16/2015, 02:33 PM
I really like the compression fitting idea. That seems like the most easiest solution to being able to remove the bulkhead if needed. If all you want to be able to do is disconnect it from the sump to move the tank or the sump or something like that than glue a union to the bulkhead.

skeeter

sleepydoc
07/16/2015, 03:33 PM
I honestly can't understand why anyone would spend more time, money and effort now to switch the plumbing to something less reliable in order to save 10 minutes later on something you may never need to do.

If you're that set against spending $10 for a couple of threaded bulkheads, just use the slip fit bulkheads as they're intended. If and when you need to move the tank, and If you want to re-use the bulkheads and plumbing, simply cut the PVC pipe and use either compression fittings or unions to put it back together.

rickztahone
07/16/2015, 05:35 PM
Recipe for a flood! Glue it or get a threaded bulkhead, don't try shortcuts. Quite honestly, the cost of bulkheads is insignificant compared to the total REAL cost of putting up a system. It is rather pointless to worry over such trivial things, and risking floods and/or other disasters.

I honestly can't understand why anyone would spend more time, money and effort now to switch the plumbing to something less reliable in order to save 10 minutes later on something you may never need to do.

If you're that set against spending $10 for a couple of threaded bulkheads, just use the slip fit bulkheads as they're intended. If and when you need to move the tank, and If you want to re-use the bulkheads and plumbing, simply cut the PVC pipe and use either compression fittings or unions to put it back together.

wise words....

Gorgok
07/16/2015, 06:58 PM
http://imagehost.calabro.us/images/aquarium/saltwater/ba1.JPG

If you did this with the bulkheads flipped the other way around you could remove the bulkhead nut and drop the entire pipe assembly from the box without any removable fittings on the outside. The fittings in the box would need to be removable but that wouldn't matter if it leaks anyway. This is how i did mine.

jamie1981
07/17/2015, 02:54 PM
You could replace a slip bulkhead 3 or 4 times for what some spend on those fancy unions they will probably never need to use. I prefer slip and if something needs to come apart for some reason cut it and replace.

Bent
07/17/2015, 08:18 PM
You could replace a slip bulkhead 3 or 4 times for what some spend on those fancy unions they will probably never need to use. I prefer slip and if something needs to come apart for some reason cut it and replace.

Unions are like 4.00?

jamie1981
07/18/2015, 08:49 AM
Unions are like 4.00?

The fancy ones i.e. sch 80 double threaded some with integrated ball valves way overkill for what we are using them for. Most of these tanks will be torn down and sold before the need to take the plumbing apart ever arises.