PDA

View Full Version : Tunze skimmer?

jordon.l
07/13/2015, 06:40 AM
Hi i still haven't decided what protein skimmer to get and I was thinking of getting a tunze doc skimmer 9004. It foes 60 to 250litres and my tank is 220 litres will this be enough and has anyone had any experiences with them?

dendrite
07/13/2015, 07:10 AM
You're really pushing it. If you go on the Tunze website it indicates that the higher ratings are for very light bio-load. If you're sold on a Tunze go on their forum here and ask Roger what would be appropriate for your needs. A good rule of thumb would be a skimmer rated to double the tank size. Even then some of the manufacturers are wildly optimistic

sid101
07/13/2015, 07:16 AM
try to always go double the size tank with your skimmer.

jordon.l
07/13/2015, 07:32 AM
You're really pushing it. If you go on the Tunze website it indicates that the higher ratings are for very light bio-load. If you're sold on a Tunze go on their forum here and ask Roger what would be appropriate for your needs. A good rule of thumb would be a skimmer rated to double the tank size. Even then some of the manufacturers are wildly optimistic
Yeh I saw that but their isn't many skimmers that would fit in my tank and the only ones that may fit in my tank (because of the hood) is the hydor slimskim, tunze doc 9004 and the juwel Internal but I haven't heard good things about the juwel skimmer has anyone had experiences with any of these

dendrite
07/13/2015, 08:16 PM
what about the tunze 9012

Nrupaw
07/14/2015, 10:05 AM
Hi i still haven't decided what protein skimmer to get and I was thinking of getting a tunze doc skimmer 9004. It foes 60 to 250litres and my tank is 220 litres will this be enough and has anyone had any experiences with them?

I actually run a Tunze 9004. its a decent skimmer. don't know how big your tank is but i use it on my Nuvo IM 38 gal. In my personal experience, the Tunze 9004 is good enough if I was running a 20 gal tank. Its not enough for a 38 gallon... but that's the largest skimmer i could fit in my innovative marine sump because of space issue.

couple pieces of advice - if you get the tunze 9004, make sure the impeller (drive unit) is the newer one. i think it is part number 9004.047. When i bought my skimmer, the drive unit was a new design and the spokes on it got frayed and broken in 2 weeks. my LFS replaced it with the newer re-designed drive unit for free.

also, at the back of the unit is a line that's marked Osmolater level. that turns out is the optimal water level for this unit to run on. only mentioning that because it didn't indicate it in the manual and i had a tough time figuring out water level for it.

good luck

Wryknow
07/14/2015, 01:35 PM
It really depends on what you plan on stocking I think. If you're planning on a heavily stocked tank with SPS then no, it's not enough skimmer. If you are keeping a reasonable amount of fish and soft corals I think it's fine. You'll need to empty the cup a lot but it will certainly help you control nutrients. An osmolator for water top off is critical though - fluctuating water levels will really make it difficult to maintain a decent skim.

Nrupaw
07/14/2015, 03:12 PM
yup as the above user mentioned, with the 9004, you'd have to empty the cup more often. i usually empty it every 3 days

if you can, then go for the largest skimmer you can fit. if you have space behind your tank you can look at the aquamaxx HOB skimmer. kinda large but i have seen in operate at on my neighbors tank. its a beast!

http://www.marinedepot.com/AquaMaxx_HOB_1_Hang_On_Back_Protein_Skimmer_Hang_On_Venturi_Needle_Wheel_Protein_Skimmers-AquaMaxx-UJ1151-FIPSHONW-vi.html

aannddyy78
07/14/2015, 03:21 PM
I have a tunze 9012 on ny 125.. great skimmer... i have to empty the cup out almost everyday and ir smells and looks horrible.. it is still breaking in (1 week old) but I love it so far.. it skims the top of the water too

aannddyy78
07/14/2015, 03:21 PM
I have a tunze 9012 on my 125.. great skimmer... i have to empty the cup out almost everyday and it smells and looks horrible.. it is still breaking in (1 week old) but I love it so far.. it skims the top of the water too

jordon.l
07/16/2015, 10:23 PM
Thanks everyone has anyone tried the hydor slim skim?