PDA

View Full Version : Tusk Fish not eating well

Lion-o
07/13/2015, 03:11 PM
Hi all,

I've had a tusk in my 300g for a long time - got him 9/14 (in QT for 3 months). Never had any issues with him eating until recently. I am wondering if this has happened to anyone else, and maybe any foods their tusk finds extra enticing. We feed a variety of frozen foods (jumbo mysis, mysis, green cuisine, krill...). He always used to run away with the frozen cube in his mouth and he the most aggressive going for big krill. In the last week or so he has been much more timid, eating just a couple of pieces off the ground usually.

The only things I can think of is he might be getting bullied a bit as he is definitely intimidated by our rabbitfish, raccoon butterfly, and powder blue tang despite being the largest (and meanest looking) fish in the tank. Another thing is that in late April I added a tiny cleaning crew (testing to see if he'd leave them be or not) and I'm 99% sure he ate the nerite snail. He might just be not as interested in frozen foods after eating something so delicious? I'm hoping that is the case, and that when he becomes hungry enough he will begin eating again... :|

Lion-o
07/15/2015, 08:12 PM
Bump, and a couple pictures (then and now) of the little guy :(

He hasn't gotten super skinny or anything yet, but these last few days I haven't really seen him attempt to eat anything... Swims by, looks curious, but then doesn't gorge himself like he used to.

In the past, when I've had fish not eat they don't even show up for the food party, they just hide somewhere in the corner or something. This guy looks like he still has some interest. :\

moriarty
07/16/2015, 02:21 PM
If your tusk did consume a nerite snail, there may be a possibility that he is unable to pass the shell, which would explain a sudden loss in appetite. Diagnosis/Treatment of something like this is (if it is even the issue) is well above my pay grade, but I wanted to throw it out there as a possible explanation.

Beautiful fish btw, I really hope he comes around for you.

Lion-o
07/16/2015, 06:46 PM
He did not eat the shell itself, only the snail inside I believe. I did not witness it happen, but I did see him pick up the snail and swim away a couple times, and when I righted the snail shell I would always find it once again flipped over. So, I'm just pretty sure.

He is beautiful :( I hope for the best but I'm at a loss for what to do

NiTr0x911
08/16/2015, 10:31 AM
Its been my experience Tusks go on hunger strikes.In fact Mine finally started eating again after almost 2 weeks of showing no interest in food.Try a frozen clam on the half shell from your local grocery store.That may get him eating.Good Luck.

Lion-o
08/16/2015, 10:46 AM
Thanks, we were hoping that was all this is but things seem to be getting worse. We have gotten him to go for a couple clams, and silversides with that sort of intensity you'd expect from a hungry tusk. However, I don't think clams and silversides every day is a healthy diet either :|

Yesterday he was out so I tried dropping a silverside in for him. He didn't go for it as the previous ones... instead he just sorta shook his head back and forth like a small seizure, let out a giant yawn, then looked like he was chewing or trying to spit something out. He's spent more time in his cave the last few days. I'm worried :\