PDA

View Full Version : 9410 DOC Skimmer very light colored skimmate

Deinonych
07/13/2015, 09:27 PM
I've owned a 9410 skimmer for about 6 months now. Up until a month ago, it was producing generally dark skimmate. Now, it only produces straw colored skimmate, and a lot of it - about 400-500mL per day. I am having to empty the cup every evening, whereas before it could run nearly a week before it filled up. I raised the skimmer up about an inch, and it's setting in about 7" of water. The airline is maybe 15% closed (if that), and the adjustment ring is about 2" below the outlet pipe.

The only thing I add to my tank daily is NOPOX (carbon source) and 2-part. I run BRS ROX carbon in a reactor.

The only possible change to my system was an algae outbreak while we were on vacation in mid-June. I believe a power outage caused the skimmer to malfunction somehow, as I came home to a full 1gal pitcher of very light skimmate with the outlet hose of the Foam Extraction Unit submerged and bubbling. Is the weak skimmate due to the lingering effects of the algae outbreak? Most of the algae has died off due to the carbon dosing, but not all.

Deinonych
07/14/2015, 06:22 AM
Update: since raising the level of the skimmer, it's producing even weaker skimmate - about 500ml in 8 hours. Something's definitely not right.

rvitko
07/14/2015, 09:39 AM
It sounds like just a reaction to the carbon dosing as well as the dying algae. Carbon dosing results in more and lighter skimmate as nutrients are exported, the cellulose from the algae does the same.

Deinonych
07/14/2015, 11:19 AM
Thanks Roger. I've been carbon dosing for well over a year, and always got relatively dark skimmate (I like to skim relatively wet, which is why I bought the 9410). So, you think I should just leave things as-is until the algae situation resolves itself?

rvitko
07/14/2015, 11:45 AM
I would give it at least 2 weeks before making any more changes.

Deinonych
07/14/2015, 12:12 PM
Great. Thanks for the advice. I'll report back if things don't resolve by then.