PDA

View Full Version : New to the hobby & having minor issues

Dzel08
07/14/2015, 08:25 PM
Hello All!

I've recently cycled my new 60 gallon tank (dimensions: 12.75"L x 48.5"W x 25" H) that I hope to turn into a reef aquarium. The cycling took about 5 weeks. I have 20 lbs of fiji LR, 50 pounds of DR, and about 4 inches of live sand. I'm lighting the tank with an Aquatic Life LED Aquarium Light Fixture, 48-Inch. I have an overflow box which connects my Eshopp R-100 sump. Inside of the refugium I have mud rock and I plan to purchase some micro algae. Also inside the sump I'm running an ASM mini g protein skimmer, which is where I'm running into trouble.

The skimmer is filling up with foam and the cup for this skimmer continuously overflows. I can't seem to set the water level in the skimmer to any desired level. I took the micron sock out of the sump to help with foaming but after more research now I fear since I used tap water conditioner with slime coating the skimmer wont be properly tuned. Is there any recommendations for help with this skimmer? I honestly hate this skimmer but I paid good money for it and would like to see it work properly.

My water levels - Ph: 8.3, Ammonia very close to 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate around 5.0ppm (which I believe the micro algae will help reduce along with a water change), and my Temp is 79degrees.

The second issue I have is I'm finding what I believe to be diatom algae. I'm planning on getting a cleaning crew along with a pair of clown fish in 2 days. Will the cleaning crew help rid this brown diatom algae?

Attached are photos of my tank and sump

Chuckd76
07/14/2015, 08:37 PM
Your skimmer could just still be breaking in, in too much water/too deep or still reacting to the water conditioner.
I would raise the skimmer by making an eggcrate platform (check with the manufacturer for a recommended water level) and just give it more time.
I recently went through the same thing with a reef octopus skimmer. All the info I found said about six inches of water was ideal. It's now sitting in 4 1/2 and works great.

Dzel08
07/14/2015, 11:28 PM
alright thanks.

tkeracer619
07/15/2015, 12:12 AM
It's a good skimmer, raise it up and try to collect what it's skimming. Running carbon may also help.

That is a lot of sand, is the rock sitting on the glass or the sand? If it's sitting on the sand you may want to rethink that, as the sand shifts rocks can fall and break the glass.

Diatoms are normal and a good thing, it's one of the first steps the reef will take and will pass with time.

Looks good!

CStrickland
07/15/2015, 07:09 AM
It can take a while for a new skimmer to break in. You can run it without the cup on it so that it just overflows back into the sump for like a week and then try playing with it again.

That is a lot of sand are you wanting eels or something?

gone fishin
07/15/2015, 07:21 AM
I agree try raising it up and collecting what is coming out. It seems to me skimmer tuning is a bit of trial and error to find the sweet spot. good luck

aclinville
07/15/2015, 08:20 AM
Is your skimmer sitting in a consistent level of water? If it isn't every time you add water or lose water through evaporation it will change the level of the skimmer. Also when I use to use filter socks and a lot more ignorant I just use to put new socks right in without cleaning them first and skimmer use to foam like crazy for the next few days

Dzel08
07/16/2015, 11:59 AM
the sand bed is only about 3-4inches. Is that really too much maybe the picture doesn't do it justice but I don't think it's too much. Also, when Aqua scalping I dug the base rocks into the sand to prevent movement even if the sand/rocks sift.

I haven't touched my skimmer in 3 days just letting it run like you guys reccomended. Today I'll be going to get a clean up crew and 2 clown fish. I'll keep you all updated. Thanks for the advise and help!

Fish Keeper82
07/16/2015, 12:16 PM
Diatoms will start to naturally diminish after a couple of weeks. They thrive on newly cycled tanks. They will go away on their own.... but CUC definitely helps speed this up.

Pdfcrazy
07/16/2015, 12:26 PM
OK, protein skimmers dont "break in" or settle in. But they will find a happy medium where they have pulled out a vast amount of material and will then start overflowing. If your skimmer is overflowing or pulling to much skim mate out, you need to examine several things. #1, what does your skim mate look like? is it dark and fairely thick? Good, even if it is pulling out lots. If it is fairley translucent with only a good green tinge to it, then it is pulling out too much, and the skimmer needs tuned a bit. There's really only two ways to tune the majority of skimmers, either by adjusting the amount of waterflow going through the skimmer, or adjusting the skimmers height in the water. Both are important factors but work differently.

CStrickland
07/16/2015, 01:17 PM
OK, protein skimmers dont "break in" or settle in.
This is from coralvue, but I'd think it applies to OP's skimmer too. They also talk about how new skimmers can be erratic by cleaning the water all up and then not foaming, I think that's what you were thinking of.
All skimmers require a break in period before any stable formation of foam will be made or start rising within the neck of the skimmer. This process can take up to 4 weeks especially with smaller systems. When first starting your new skimmer set the water level in the skimmer low by keeping the outlet valve on the open side. If your worried about it overflowing when your not present leave the valve completely open. Do not attempt to raise the water level in the skimmer for at least 3-4 weeks or you will run the risk of the skimmer overflowing and flooding the surrounding area. https://www.coralvue.com/support/676043-Little-to-no-foam-production

what does your skim mate look like? is it dark and fairely thick? Good, even if it is pulling out lots. If it is fairley translucent with only a good green tinge to it, then it is pulling out too much
I think that's a matter of opinion. Within reason wet skimming will take out more stuff and different stuff than dry. Though you are losing water that otherwise would stay in the tank.
As water continues to drain, some of the organics are lost. Further, as some bubbles pop and their organics are redistributed into the nearby water, the local concentration of organics in the water between the bubbles in the foam can rise to concentrations far higher than are present in the aquarium. For this reason, the most effective skimming, in terms of total organic removal, comes from removing somewhat wet foam, rather than waiting for this same wet foam to drain prior to removal. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-08/rhf/index.php#21 - this is a great article for like more than anybody would ever want to know about skimmers

tazdvl
07/16/2015, 03:52 PM
Luv the tag line there a mile away with no shoes lol

Dzel08
07/17/2015, 12:37 AM
So i got 2 clownfish, a fire shrimp, 2 blue leg hermits, 2 red leg hermits, a star fish, and 5 snails. I think my invertebrates are settling in but my clown fish are hanging out the top corner. Is this normal?

Earlier when I first put them in I had an incident with the carbon. I placed it in my sump without rinsing it off first then BOOOOM!!! My whole entire tank turned into a black fog. I thought this freaking black stuff was killing my new tank but did some research and learned I was fine. That has to be the worst way to introduce fish into your tank. I did a few water changes and a few hours later my tank is all cleared.

The only thing is my fish are hanging at the top of my tank its so late why aren't they sleeping? and does this mean something is off?

Fish Keeper82
07/17/2015, 12:55 AM
Every clownfish i have ever owned like to hang out in the top. Its completely normal. Mine even sleep there behind my overflow box as well.
Its only abnormal if they have rapid breathing and are trying to get oxygen from the surface(biting at the surface)
I have also had one sucked into the overflow before.

If you want to try and get them lower you'll likely need an anemone for them. Mine have always resided near the surface. Every once in a blue moon mine will sleep on the sand but its rare.
with that said I'm assuming you got some ocellaris or percula clowns which stay in the top water colum more than other species.

Fish Keeper82
07/17/2015, 01:11 AM
I took this picture of my two clowns yesterday hanging out by the magfloat and overflow box. This is where the spend 90 percent of their time.