PDA

View Full Version : Made my own fish food. Did I miss any nutrients?

Nromano1212
07/15/2015, 09:24 PM
Hey guys. I decided I would try my hand at making some fish food. I prob should have checked on here to ask if I mixed enough stuff up to cover their whole diet but my fish went crazy for it. Here is what I added:

-12oz royal white pealed shrimp
-16oz panamei seafood mix
-5 carrots (boiled to soften)
-1 big clove of garlic
-32oz chopped frozen spinach
-2 seaweed sheets (soaked in water to soften)
-1 tbl spoon of prime reef fish flakes
-9 small packets of instant ocean Cyclopeze
-8oz Gerber baby food peas
-1 egg yolk

(Check out the tank in the background!!!) lol

It didn't seem like it needed gelatin to bind together. I stuck everything in the food processor and then did it again. Lol. Bagged it and now it's in the freezer. I'm still new at this hobby so to you professionals, did I do ok? How often should I feed them this and do I need other stuff to supplement their diet? I know a good rule of thumb is give them enough to eat everything in two mins right? Just once a day? Thanks in advance! Nick

manny532
07/16/2015, 02:57 AM
Wow, that's a lot of greens pretty awesome. I actually make my own fish food too but have not yet added greens to it. I feed nori on a stick and veggie flakes superarte. My meats include shrimp, krill, octopus, squid, scallop, clam and Atlantic salmon. Great thing about making your own food is you know exactly what's in it, you can get super creative and imo and ime fish love it so much more and look way healthier too.

jimbob321
07/16/2015, 04:11 AM
i just use panamei seafood mix or the equivalent, and nori blend it with some water.
it will make the skimmer go nuts for a few minutes unless you turn it off while feeding.

Nromano1212
07/16/2015, 06:53 AM
Yea I prob should have only used one bag of spinach but you can never have enough greens. Lol I covered all basis though right? Should I feed it to them frozen or let them attack the ice cube? Once or twice a day?

laga77
07/16/2015, 07:24 AM
Lose the vegetables. There are no carrots or peas or garlic on a reef. If you are looking for variety, yes that`s a good thing, you can get different strains of algae sheets. Keep it simple, shrimp, fish, squid, clams and algae sheets are all you need. Better yet, feed live black and white worms along with everything else mentioned.

jayball
07/16/2015, 07:43 AM
My critique would be:
Unless your tank is full of herbivores you went a little heavy on the veggies and try for more marine based algae rather than terrestrial plant.
Next time skip the clove of garlic, crush it and use the juice if you feel you need it (you do not).

I would certainly still use what you made though.

For contrast my last batch of frozen was a blend of (in rough order of volume):

clams (blended) (1 dozen stew clams)
mussels (blended) (1 dozen)
Hikari and PE mysis (about 2 rows of each)
Green nori (diced to ~1mm square, next time larger.)
Cyclopeze
reef chili
selcon

Next time I will be skipping the reef chili, my bioload was much lighter then and the clams provide plenty of micro bits. I will also try to add some non processed macro for the tang, like Red Gracilaria and another bulk protein, probably squid and back off of the mysis.

The dried nori and freeze dried cyclops go in last to soak up the excess juice.

Nromano1212
07/16/2015, 08:59 AM
Thanks guys. Yea maybe I over did it a little. I was reading about people putting in multi vitamins and stuff. I was just trying to make sure it was well balanced. Do I defrost it or put it in frozen?

jayball
07/16/2015, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys. Yea maybe I over did it a little. I was reading about people putting in multi vitamins and stuff. I was just trying to make sure it was well balanced. Do I defrost it or put it in frozen?

I keep a shot glass for the fish food and fill it with tank water to defrost. I dump about half in then use a turkey baster to target feed the slower moving fish and my shrimp.