PDA

View Full Version : DIY Magnets - How Strong for 1/2" Glass?

Harry Muscle
07/16/2015, 10:54 AM
I'm building several DIY magnetic float switch holders which will use magnets ordered from magnet4sale.com (or somewhere similar). The thing I'm not sure about though is how strong the magnets should be to work well with 1/2" glass. Anyone used such magnets before with glass this thick?

Thanks,
Harry

Webmanny
07/16/2015, 10:55 AM
I normally recommend using N52 magnets and anything larger that 20MM wide by 10MM thick. I use these with great success for many applications.

Harry Muscle
07/16/2015, 10:59 AM
I normally recommend using N52 magnets and anything larger that 20MM wide by 10MM thick. I use these with great success for many applications.
Do you by any chance remember the lbs rating on some of the magnets you've used?

Thanks,
Harry

Webmanny
07/16/2015, 12:25 PM
The closest one I could find was the one on the link below, which is 3/4" dia. x 3/8" thick and it is rated as below. However, the ones I got from China are a bit bigger and stronger. Please note that these magnets are so strong, that I dropped 2 by mistake on the carpet and they destroyed each other, not from the fall, but from the attraction contact.

p.s. If you are going to use these on your tank, be very careful not to let it go before it has made contact with the glass or it will break your glass.

Pull Force, Case 1: 29.71 lbs
Pull Force, Case 2: 44.94 lbs

https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DC6-N52&cat=168