PDA

View Full Version : Breeding California Cortez stingrays???

walters_joseph1
07/16/2015, 10:30 PM
I have had a male stingray for about a year now and have just recently started to want to try my hand at breeding. I bought a female yesterday that is sexually mature. Now here is my question- The male is a lighter color and the female is darker. I was told by numerous reliable sources that the color doesn't matter on those because they are both considered "California Cortez" stingrays and they will still breed. However, today someone told me that they will not interbreed and they are actually two completely different species (the dark being a Cortez and the light being a California). Will someone help confirm this or disprove it and inform me on the truth behind all of this please?? Thank you in advance!!

kizanne
07/17/2015, 12:07 PM
Wow you must have one hell of a tank to breed stingrays

ichthyogeek
07/17/2015, 11:19 PM
Hmm...if they're the same species, with the same breeding beharviors (time of mating, behaviors, etc.), then they'll breed. Whether the offspring are healthy or not depends on the chromosomes, etc. (darn you AP biology, you're making me sound complicated).

Basically, you probably are going to have baby rays, especially if they're of the same genus.Pictures please? Additionally, you may want to ask on MFK. PPoeschl knows a lot about skate breeding, and zoodiver knows about sharks.

nauplius
07/28/2015, 03:03 PM
The name "California Cortez" that has been given to you seems to be confusing two different common names: the California round ray and the Cortez round ray.

The California round ray is Urobatis halleri, and is most commonly found in southern California. The Cortez round ray is Urobatis maculatus and is really only found in Mexico.

I really don't know much about the morphological differences between the two species, but I do know that color is not a good proxy determining either species or sex. I have seen many different colored round rays in SoCal, even some that are entirely black.

In terms of breeding, I would make sure you have the same species. The only breeding that produces viable offspring is by members of the same species. Its kinda the definition of "species." There are a few species of the same genus that can interbreed (produce hybrids), but its not common, and I wouldn't waste my time on it.