PDA

View Full Version : Randall Pistol Shrimp Appear and Disappearing in QT

gwubsmuzix
07/17/2015, 02:55 PM
I recently purchased a Randall pistol shrimp and a goby pair at my LFS. That store was known to have some lack luster fish quality but relatively cheap so i decided that i would place the pair in a 5 gallon QT. I acclimated them and they were just hanging around the bottom of the tank all day. The next morning when i go to check on them the shrimp was gone. He was very small, about the size of 3 grains of rice but i looked all over the tank and couldnt find him.

My initial thoughts were these 4 things that i check.

1. It jumped 2. swam into my tetra filter 3. swam into the hydor nano powerhead 4. my goby ate it.

I unplugged everything except the heater in the QT and opened everything up to check in there. He wasnt in there. my goby is a clear color and it didnt look like the shrimp was in the stomach so i just assumed it had jumped out.

Fast forward a week later i go and check on the goby like i do everyday and i see the claw of the shrimp. Then im thinking i guess it was sucked up by the filter. I give the goby some mysis and all the sudden i see the shrimp swimming by. I was beyond confused because I had taken almost everything out of the tank and the shrimp was no where to be found before and it comes back one week later. It also looked like it had molted and gotten double in size. Fast forward another 2 days to today and hes missing again. I was planning to put the two in my display during the next few days but hes no where to be seen in my little 5 gallon barebottom no liverock QT.

Can anyone explain this??

Thanks

spsfreak25
07/17/2015, 03:51 PM
do you have rock, sand or anything for them to hide

gwubsmuzix
07/17/2015, 05:35 PM
do you have rock, sand or anything for them to hide

i put a small piece of pvc elbow and thats it but i havent seen them go in it