PDA

View Full Version : to feed or not while on vacation

BeachVacationer
07/17/2015, 09:44 PM
I have a pico 5 gallon fluval spec V tank with 2 juvie clown fish about 3/4 inch long. Would they be ok if I don't feed them for 12 days? I do this for my freshwater tanks without problems.

thegrun
07/17/2015, 11:15 PM
That is a long time without food, I would set up an auto-feeder or have a friend feed them.

padi200
07/17/2015, 11:17 PM
That is a long time without food, I would set up an auto-feeder or have a friend feed them.

I 100% agree.

pyithar
07/18/2015, 12:54 AM
i agree with the above posters. i think they'll probably survive 12 days without food but they won't be happy. do you have the ATO setup for your tank?

laga77
07/18/2015, 06:20 AM
Would you like to go 12 days without food?

billdogg
07/18/2015, 06:39 AM
I would have no problem leaving them in an established tank of sufficient size for up to a week or so. 12 days would be pushing it even there. As mentioned above - do you have a ATO? Evaporation, especially in such a small tank, will be just as big of a problem. With a ATO and autofeeder they would be fine. If you have neither, you will need somebody to watch after them for you. What I would not do is go out and get an ATO/feeder, set them up and leave. You will come home to a flood/overfed tank.

BeachVacationer
07/18/2015, 06:55 AM
Don't have an ATO, so I think I'll have a friend top off and feed sparingly every few days. Thanks for all you input guys!

hogfanreefer
07/18/2015, 07:50 AM
I would recommend putting each day's food in it's own individual plastic bag (freezer bag if it's frozen food). Tank sitters are notorius for feeding too much because "they still act hungry". That way you won't come home to an algae farm.

ericarenee
07/18/2015, 08:18 AM
I would recommend putting each day's food in it's own individual plastic bag (freezer bag if it's frozen food). Tank sitters are notorius for feeding too much because "they still act hungry". That way you won't come home to an algae farm.

This..

there was a thread on here not long ago. when someone ask his neighbor to feed his tank. then his son i think come over to take care of the Dog and was also just feeding the tank thinking it was the right thing to do.. Someone else in the family or a repair person was also seeing the fish act hungry and fed them too...
SO YEA GET 1 PERSON. And post a sign on the tank DO NOT FEED WHILE IM AWAY.... And give exact feeding and top off instructions to your tank keeper ....