PDA

View Full Version : Best method for keeping SPS

JOSHUAB
07/17/2015, 11:07 PM
What is the best method for keeping SPS?
What is the best equipment to use if starting from scratch?
If one was building their dream SPS system what would it incorporate?

Thanks in advance for everyone s. Help.

DylansGolden
04/14/2016, 10:58 AM
Following

Johnyman
04/14/2016, 11:11 AM
For SPS you need 4 things essential!!!

- Light (need to provide minimal 200PAR but all depends of what type of SPS you want)

- Tons of Flow, not directy but good random flow

- Good Export system (there are many...DSB, probiotic, Algae Scrubber...etc ...a good skimmer too! but it all depends of the Import)

- Chemical stability

The material to buy? well..after you choose your tank dimensions you just need to think, what material do you need to have all the parameters i wrote above!

If you provide these, 90% you will have sucess...the other 10% can be a torment to you and I´m talking about reef pests, non reefsafe species, your hands in the tank!!! etc

Scorpius
04/14/2016, 01:53 PM
The main thing in keeping sps is stability. Everything else is preference.

Acronic
04/14/2016, 02:34 PM
Make sure to burn at least $200 a week as a sacrifice to the reef gods.

NaturalReef
04/14/2016, 08:44 PM
Lol

wheelman76
04/14/2016, 09:01 PM

That's it ? I've been doing it all wrong !! Lol

Kentech5
04/14/2016, 09:17 PM

I thought I was supposed to throw it into the sea Titanic style.

Acronic
04/14/2016, 09:20 PM
I thought I was supposed to throw it into the sea Titanic style.

That depends on your geographic location

vinhle00
04/15/2016, 12:02 AM

only $200? you sure?

scrapz
04/15/2016, 03:20 AM
The main thing in keeping sps is stability. Everything else is preference.

This.

russ13
04/15/2016, 04:24 AM
SPS
S=stability
P=promotes
S=success

Stole that from Greg Carroll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbrochs
04/19/2016, 08:31 PM
Good light, flow, skimmer

For me, I couldn't find stability until I bought a dosing pump and quality Auto Top off.

Big E's thread taught me to blow the detritus out of the rockwork and tweak my lighting, and that its OK and beneficial to have some nutrients (nitrogen and phosphate) in the tank.

It took me a year and a half to learn these simple things, but now I can see new growth every day!

russ13
04/20/2016, 02:49 AM
For me I had to find a happy middle ground. My first SPS tank was a 30 gallon with bio pellets and a monster skimmer(I think it was rated for 120 gallons). I only had one wrasse as my bio load. The tank had zero algae I almost never cleaned my glass and my frag rack was as white as the day I put it in. I thought I was running a great system but my SPS never looked good. Kinda pale and never really colored up. This was years ago and I was told an SPS tank had to be very clean. I now know I was probably starving the corals. The set up I have now is a 60 gallon with a lot heavier bio load. I think my nitrates are around 2 and my phosphate is at .04. I have to fight the algae a bit more but all my SPS look very healthy. Great color and growth in almost all my frags. This tank is still pretty new but I'm very happy with it so far. I'm thinking about trying out some bio media that everyone is using.