PDA

View Full Version : ATB 840 Cone Skimmer

krzyphsygy
07/18/2015, 09:51 AM
I am interested in this skimmer and wanted to hear anyone who owns one or owned one. Experiences , pics, pro's and cons.

How do you rate it and all that good stuff. Its an expensive skimmer but supposedly one of the best being currently made.

Thanks

andyos
07/18/2015, 12:54 PM
Hello, I have one (actually the ATB Nano B) - the Euro version - with the DC Pump and it's extremely good, build quality is excellent and it's very tolerant of different tank volume. Long story short but I bought one ahead of my upgrade from 250L to 1000L and due to various delays in the new house build it ran on my 250L tank for a year. What tank volume and stocking level do you have?

krzyphsygy
07/18/2015, 02:04 PM
I want to put the 840 on a 125 gallon sps tank. The nano version I dont think is available in the us is it? Sounds intriguing.

mikeatjac
07/18/2015, 02:47 PM
The 840 is one of the best balance skimmers you can buy. I loved mine on my 120.

andyos
07/18/2015, 03:06 PM
I want to put the 840 on a 125 gallon sps tank. The nano version I dont think is available in the us is it? Sounds intriguing.

The Nano B is the European version of the 840V2 - I think it's only the pump that is different due to the different mains frequency, the body is the same. It's an excellent skimmer, 125 US Gallons is around 500 UK Litres - the 840 V2 would be perfect. Water level is around 20cm. I also have the ATB 1050A (European Medium Cone) running on my 250G tank and the Nano B/840 is running perfectly well whilst I wait for a pump replacement on the larger skimmer.

tom obrecht
07/18/2015, 03:19 PM
I currently run a 1050 deluxe and I have to say perhaps the best skimmer I have owned. I have had Euroreef, Deltec and Bubble King to name a few and I personally like the ATB the best. Now with support back in USA I wouldn't hesitate to use one!

krzyphsygy
07/18/2015, 04:11 PM
The Nano B is the European version of the 840V2 - I think it's only the pump that is different due to the different mains frequency, the body is the same. It's an excellent skimmer, 125 US Gallons is around 500 UK Litres - the 840 V2 would be perfect. Water level is around 20cm. I also have the ATB 1050A (European Medium Cone) running on my 250G tank and the Nano B/840 is running perfectly well whilst I wait for a pump replacement on the larger skimmer.
I just spoke with ATB and their is a nano version available in a few days. 18 inches high dc pump. Was only I guess a euro version.

krzyphsygy
07/18/2015, 09:04 PM
I just spoke with ATB and their is a nano version available in a few days. 18 inches high dc pump. Was only I guess a euro version.

Sorry, correction it has,an ehiem.

krzyphsygy
07/18/2015, 09:07 PM
I currently run a 1050 deluxe and I have to say perhaps the best skimmer I have owned. I have had Euroreef, Deltec and Bubble King to name a few and I personally like the ATB the best. Now with support back in USA I wouldn't hesitate to use one!

Those are some top dawg skimmers you named. Specially the Deltec. Is the build quality nice? Thats,important to me. Because I,need it to last. What,color did you get?

andyos
07/19/2015, 04:21 AM
Sorry, correction it has,an ehiem.

Ah, ok, is that the Eheim 1250? If so, I have had that model too, it comes with an Enakamat meshwheel - I've had four ATB's now over the last 5 years! The Nano with Eheim 1250 I found the hardest to dial in, in Europe that body is available with a DC pump which would make it easier to get right.

I have also had the ATB Small Cone with Eheim 1260 pinwheel which was very nice. Build quality is excellent across the range with titanium screws etc and very high quality finish. All mine have been white, hope that helps.

krzyphsygy
07/19/2015, 05:17 AM
Thats helps alot, thanks. I havent bought an expensive skimmer thats high quality in some years. Looking to change that. H&S was the last one and I still have it but its external and the pump leaks now. Still trying to fix it. I bought that one 8 years ago.
I have an aquamaxx on the frag system. But the atb will go on the display. Yes the 1250. I did see that it can come with a dc pump.

tom obrecht
07/19/2015, 05:36 AM
Build quality is great! Very clean, heavy duty materials, great workmanship and the ability (at least in the model I own) to totally disassemble for cleaning. Much better materials and design than my Deltec ap902! Super quiet and pulls gunk like crazy!

bayoupr
07/19/2015, 07:13 AM
I have had both ATB and Bubble King Skimmers, between the two I'll pick ATB. Not much difference in the build quality and performance was the same to me plus the ATB cost less. I don't like the screw in collection cup like BK has. The ATB cup has a push on pull off feature with a o-ring to seal it from leaking. Easier to remove and clean, quicker to put back on.

PRDubois
10/29/2015, 07:00 PM

The ATB Nano One is available in the US now.