PDA

View Full Version : New 40B sump with big refug + 3 socks design

vooDoo213
07/20/2015, 12:35 PM
http://imgur.com/EYjfCAX

I'm moving the return pump to the first chamber and run a tube to the last chamber. This way I can save a lil more space for the refugium.

Currently using a felt sock in my 29g sump and it's fantastic so I like to keep them, but use 3 instead for better changing intervals.

What do you guys think?

ericarenee
07/20/2015, 03:24 PM
I do not totally understand your drawing.. The Filter socks should be under the Drain lines and first in line.. Or way too much stuff will settle into the Fuge chamber..

As far as using 3 at one time.. You still MUST MUST MUST. Clean them at least every day or so. They become nitrate factories.... How big is your display and how much water will your pump Circulate. i Use 1 filter sock on my system and my pump moves 2400 gph .I change the sock every other day when i run them...

vooDoo213
07/20/2015, 04:56 PM
The first 8" section will house a skimmer and return pump.

Water will flow over a 5" wide baffle with 3 holes for the 4" socks. (There will be a 1.5" wall section over this so the water will flow into the socks and out to refugium mid-way. In case of a clog on the socks for some unknown reason, the water would just over flow into the fuge.

The reason I don't like drains from DT into socks is due to the bubbles created in the socks itself, This design will minimize the amount of bubbles going into the socks.

Skimming before it hits the socks so they last a couple more days with minimal aeration in them socks.

I have a 90g DT, two clowns 2 damsels, yellow tang, LMB, 120lbs rock, 60lbs sand.

Caulerpa Mexicana & Chaeto in fuge.

ericarenee
07/20/2015, 05:41 PM
The Bio Tower and Skimmer has changed from this.. This just shows a wide view.. on how the Fuge is separate . You can see my Prefilter box at the top on the shelf above the Fuge tank.. that is a 2 inch pipe
Sump with the skimmer in a chamber where water level will not change.. THIS is most important..
Its Close to this now

ok what i was having a issue understanding was that line with arrows from end of tank to pump.. Push the Fuge all the way back to the far right of the tank.. and the pump right after the socks... Felt socks will absorb all the air bubbles. Mine does anyway..

Of Course its your Sump.. Here is mine for a idea how i did it.