PDA

View Full Version : Live Aquaria order/QT ???

julie180
07/20/2015, 03:18 PM
I have an order with 3 fairy wrasses and a diamond goby coming on Wed. (220 DT) I will have my QT tank sg at 1.021, what they told me they kept theirs at.

I looked at their acclimation procedures and wonder what others do. It's my understanding that matching sg and floating, unopened, to match temp is the best way to limit the build up of toxic ammonia once the bag is opened. Am I correct in this thinking, or should I use their acclimation method?

What about the diamond goby, would it be best to put some sand in for him?

I am choosing to forgo tank transfer method this time. Am I wrong? Will 6 weeks in the qt tank be enough?

Any and all input appreciated.

TIA

RGS2
07/20/2015, 03:34 PM
I would suggest following their acclimation procedures. I have bought from LA frequently with great success.

Length of time in QT depends on if you are taking a passive approach (just observing for disease) or a prophylactic (proactively treating for diseases). If just observing, I think 6 weeks is enough but everyone has their own timeframe.

The diamond goby does not have to have sand while in QT, but you can put some in a tupperware tray in your QT tank for him if you want. Just don't resuse the sand anywhere but in your QT. Don't add it to your display.

codyreed29
07/20/2015, 06:06 PM
Just bought a purple dotty back and cardinals last Friday thereally in quarantine.

Also bought corals dipped and put them in dt.

gone fishin
07/20/2015, 06:13 PM
If the salinity matches float the bag for temperature and put the fish into the QT.

If your going to skip TTM then I personally would go longer than the 6 week observation and do the full 72 days.

I believe the goby would probably benefit from some sand in a bowl. Good luck just my 2 cents.

snorvich
07/20/2015, 06:17 PM
If the salinity matches float the bag for temperature and put the fish into the QT.

If your going to skip TTM then I personally would go longer than the 6 week observation and do the full 72 days.

I believe the goby would probably benefit from some sand in a bowl. Good luck just my 2 cents.

I agree.

julie180
07/21/2015, 10:10 AM
Thanks for all the replys. Can I ask why you advise 72 day QT? I know the stage of ich can live for up to 72 days without a host, but if a host is present, would it not present sooner? Am I missing something?

BrandonFlorida
07/21/2015, 10:13 AM
Thanks for all the replys. Can I ask why you advise 72 day QT? I know the stage of ich can live for up to 72 days without a host, but if a host is present, would it not present sooner? Am I missing something?

It could show up sooner no doubt, but if the place you get it from use copper, it can mask other parasites and then your DT is compromised. Whatever you do, do not rush putting them in the DT. When you start doing that, then problems occur..

I learned from my 75, you cannot trust any QT methods unless you do it yourself..

biomek
07/21/2015, 12:22 PM
Just make sure to double check the shipping salinity. My last 6 shipments from LA all have come in right at 1.017-1.018

gone fishin
07/21/2015, 01:02 PM

IMO ich is not always easy to identify, lots of times it likes to stay in the gills. Hopefully by going the 72 days it would present itself, if it is there

jaybfresh
07/21/2015, 01:17 PM
Just make sure to double check the shipping salinity. My last 6 shipments from LA all have come in right at 1.017-1.018

And Divers Den purchases come closer to 1.025

snorvich
07/21/2015, 01:25 PM
IMO ich is not always easy to identify, lots of times it likes to stay in the gills. Hopefully by going the 72 days it would present itself, if it is there

I agree. People mistakenly think that visible symptoms are a requirement for cryptocaryon irritans.

mrkalel
07/21/2015, 01:51 PM
It might sound ignorant... But when I buy from Divers Den... I see no reason for additional QT. I trust in their quality and standards.

hogfanreefer
07/21/2015, 01:57 PM
It might sound ignorant... But when I buy from Divers Den... I see no reason for additional QT. I trust in their quality and standards.

You would be going against the recommendations of DD.

I have received several fish from DD that had either ich or flukes.

MellowReefer
07/21/2015, 02:12 PM

+1

I had the same experience with fish from LA.

Don't just take their word for it, check it yourself. Leave a few inches of space in your QT and have plenty of RODI water ready to add if the salinity in the bag is lower than your QT. And it's better for them to go to lower salinity than higher salinity so it doesn't hurt to prepare your tank water a little lower than what they say.

mrkalel
07/21/2015, 02:17 PM
You would be going against the recommendations of DD.

I have received several fish from DD that had either ich or flukes.
Interesting.... Surprising actually...

julie180
07/21/2015, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the heads up on the SG, I will be prepared!

Angry Andy
07/21/2015, 07:20 PM
Yeah thanks for the specific gravity heads up, I have never really checked in the past...for sure will always do so from now on!!!!

tkeracer619
07/21/2015, 07:34 PM
I got a tang with marine velvet from DD, nearly wiped my tank but we caught it soon enough. Lost my baby bangaii (born and raised in the tank), a purple tang, and a blonde naso. They run copper in low concentration so it can mask things like that.

sctip
07/21/2015, 07:43 PM
I don't think QT can be stressed enough for coral and fish...

gone fishin
07/22/2015, 09:47 AM
IMO DD runs more of a long term acclimation/observational process for fish. They keep the fish long enough to make sure they are eating and nothing is grossly wrong with them before going up for sale.

But I trust no one but myself when it comes to QT.