PDA

View Full Version : Input needed on the Brightest White 150W DE MH Bulb, I have tried 6 so far..

Phludd
07/20/2015, 10:30 PM
I need some help with picking a 150w DE MH bulb. I want something very bright white, possibly a small hint of blue but not necessary. I have a Kessil a360 that I use to supplement the blue, so I really want a bright full white bulb.

I know that a ballast makes all the difference. I have a BioCube HQI ballast, I believe thats a magnetic, but not 100% sure. I could use some help I have spent a lot money on bulbs that I dont use.

I have bought several different bulbs over the last couple of years, here is how they performed on my ballast:
Stock CoralVue 14k = it wasn't bright and had a slight yellow tinge

Ushio 20k = WAAAY too blue looked like Windex and was too dim

Ushio 14k = Not any noticeable blue but the brightest and whitest. This has been my fall back bulb every time, no major complaints but I would like something a little whiter and brighter.

Phoenix 14k = These were brighter than the Ushio 20k, but still too blue for me and were WAY to dim for me after the Ushio 14k. I know alot of people love these bulbs, but even with the Kessil turned up they looked dim, colors looked washed.

Megachrome 17.5k = I loved this bulb. It was bright and had a hint of blue. Unfortunately after 6hrs of use it fried nearly all my coral SPS and LPS, i assume it was a defective bulb. After 6months of not using it, I popped it in last week and within 45 min all my coral was closing and my monti caps turned from orange to dark brown. To fry coral in 45min it has to be UV related, again it may be just a bad bulb, but I am too scared to pay $75 and try it again.

Reeflux 10k = I just got this bulb in today. The color is almost identical to the 8month old Ushio 14k, but it is noticeably dimmer.

Again I dont care what the Kelvin rating is, I just want it full white and as bright as I can get on a 150w HQI ballast. I am thinking of trying the 10k/14k versions of the XM, Hamilton, or Aqualine.

If anyone can provide some input from experience, it would be greatly appreciated. I think for now I may just leave the Reeflux in until I can decide on a replacement, the Kessil makes up for the lack of brightness.
Like I said so far I have liked the Ushio 14k the best, but I know there is something brighter without being yellow...isn't there?

Thanks in advance.