PDA

View Full Version : Extending AI Hydra52 Power supply cord

Nrupaw
07/23/2015, 09:27 AM
Although, the cord from the Power Supply to the Hydra52 unit is pretty long, it is still a little short for my application. i'd like to be able to keep the Power Supply Unit in my stand and run the cables up the back of the aquarium to my light canopy. the cord falls short on that.

http://i.imgur.com/mRx6m7Ql.jpg

I checked with AI and they don't have an extension. I was wondering if someone could tell me if i can buy a 3rd party extension cord of sorts via which i can still keep my power supply unit in my cabinet, and run rest of the cord up to the canopy.

what sort of cord should i be looking for?

mcgyvr
07/23/2015, 10:36 AM
You can either extend it yourself by splicing in new 2 conductor wiring or find out the size of the DC barrel jack on there and find an extension for it..

"like" this.. (not saying thats the proper one..could be.. but just saying they are out there)
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/23-763?scode=GS401&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google&catargetid=530004080000379596&cadevice=c&gclid=CKrog5bY8cYCFdcXHwod1RYLwQ

Nrupaw
07/23/2015, 10:39 AM
You can either extend it yourself by splicing in new 2 conductor wiring or find out the size of the DC barrel jack on there and find an extension for it..

thanks. i would ideally like to avoid splicing it. simply because i don't trust myself doing a good job on it

is there a good store that carries extension cords? i can take in the power supply with me and get cord that matches the barrel jack.

would radioshack carry it? better question, are there still radioshacks around? :lolspin:

mcgyvr
07/23/2015, 10:55 AM
thanks. i would ideally like to avoid splicing it. simply because i don't trust myself doing a good job on it

is there a good store that carries extension cords? i can take in the power supply with me and get cord that matches the barrel jack.

would radioshack carry it? better question, are there still radioshacks around? :lolspin:

Not sure whats going on with radioshack.. Thought they were dead but seems stores are still around ...for now
They "might" have it.. or atleast allow you to find out the proper plug size to order it online..
But Amazon will surely have it..

"DC extension cable" is a good search term after you determine barrel jack sizing.. (got a caliper? )

Nrupaw
07/23/2015, 11:39 AM
Not sure whats going on with radioshack.. Thought they were dead but seems stores are still around ...for now
They "might" have it.. or atleast allow you to find out the proper plug size to order it online..
But Amazon will surely have it..

"DC extension cable" is a good search term after you determine barrel jack sizing.. (got a caliper? )

sweet! DC extension cable was the exact search term i was looking for. will figure out barrel jack sizing. would it say on the sticker on the power supply?

Also i see 18 and 20 AWG. any idea which one i should be getting?

don't have a claliper. wish i did. will ask around on my end.

not too many radioshacks anymore. last year i was looking for for a SPL/dB meter to calibrate my speakers and drove all around Minneapolis. found only 2 active RS stores, and luckily 1 had the meter i was looking for.

rovster
07/23/2015, 11:53 AM
I did this for my Radions. The extension cords were $50 each and all I needed was a couple of feet to run my cables behind the walls. I dismantled it and found a suitable cable online and just soldered the connections. I tried to keep it clean with heat shrink tubing and all. I ended up getting the cord at home depot, apparently its the power cord for electric drills, LOL!

Nrupaw
07/23/2015, 12:47 PM
I did this for my Radions. The extension cords were $50 each and all I needed was a couple of feet to run my cables behind the walls. I dismantled it and found a suitable cable online and just soldered the connections. I tried to keep it clean with heat shrink tubing and all. I ended up getting the cord at home depot, apparently its the power cord for electric drills, LOL!

$50? holy crap! for measly extension cords?

do you remember the specs of the cord you picked up at home depot?

mcgyvr
07/23/2015, 03:42 PM
post pics of the back side of the power supply showing the ratings..
Its not a power cord for electric drills...

more than likely 18 or 20 awg wont matter.. but go 18 as its larger..

Nrupaw
07/23/2015, 03:45 PM
incase if it helps anyone - AI just got back to me the barrell jack on the power supply is 2.5 x 5.5mm sized. Now i gotta see if i can find a cheapo extension anywhere

mcgyvr
07/23/2015, 03:54 PM
incase if it helps anyone - AI just got back to me the barrell jack on the power supply is 2.5 x 5.5mm sized. Now i gotta see if i can find a cheapo extension anywhere

simple.. plenty online all over the place
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2099139_-1

Nrupaw
07/24/2015, 07:59 AM
simple.. plenty online all over the place
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_2099139_-1

thanks man. I appreciate all the help :)

rovster
07/27/2015, 09:18 AM
Yeah, that is definitely different than the radion cord....come to think of it, I did not extend the power cord, it was the cord from power supply to unit.

Nrupaw
07/27/2015, 09:41 AM
Yeah, that is definitely different than the radion cord....come to think of it, I did not extend the power cord, it was the cord from power supply to unit.

yup, different than the radion cord.

i have to get the extender because my plan is to keep all the electrical out of the sump area, and put it in a separate cabinet. so needed the longer cables

rovster
07/27/2015, 01:33 PM
yup, different than the radion cord.

i have to get the extender because my plan is to keep all the electrical out of the sump area, and put it in a separate cabinet. so needed the longer cables

That's what I did. Ran the cables in the wall and I have all my electrical in my entertainment unit next to my tank....