PDA

View Full Version : Trigger system sumps or others?

BillNye
07/23/2015, 06:56 PM
Hi all,
I'm looking for a new sump. I got an email from marine depot about their new trigger sumps and after looking around online they seem to be pretty good. MD is offering 15% through sunday so I figure now would be a good time.

Does anyone have one of these and if so, how do you feel about it? I'm thinking about either the 34" emerald, crystal or ruby.

I'm open to other options but like the 15% discount and that I can pick it up from MD.

Thanks! :spin1:

pmcarbrey
07/23/2015, 06:58 PM
I personally prefer to make my own, glass tanks and baffles are cheap. Custom sumps also allow for customization specific to your needs. The trigger systems sums are good, buf for that price you can make something larger and more specific to your needs

BillNye
07/23/2015, 07:12 PM
I thought about doing this but being in an apartment and a confined space, I'd rather pay for something built like a tank than rely on my first DIY build being flawless. The trigger systems seem to cover everything I need now and have room for me to add things along the way if I choose to do that.

pmcarbrey
07/23/2015, 07:16 PM
I thought about doing this but being in an apartment and a confined space, I'd rather pay for something built like a tank than rely on my first DIY build being flawless. The trigger systems seem to cover everything I need now and have room for me to add things along the way if I choose to do that.

Totally understandable, trigger systems would be a fine way to go then. They are high quality and asthetically pleasing. The only thing I would watch for is to make sure that whatever skimmer you choose will fit in it, but that is something I would say for any premade sump.

In the future if space allows I recommend you try your hand at making a sump out of a 40b from petco's dollar per gallon sale, for ~$75 and an hour or two's worth of time you can have a 40g sump.

ericarenee
07/23/2015, 07:32 PM
Just get the Largest model you can fit inside your stand would be my suggestion. As far as this Sump brand mine is a 75 gallon glass tank that i partitioned to my needs.

BillNye
07/23/2015, 10:42 PM
In the future if space allows I recommend you try your hand at making a sump out of a 40b from petco's dollar per gallon sale, for ~$75 and an hour or two's worth of time you can have a 40g sump.

Just get the Largest model you can fit inside your stand would be my suggestion. As far as this Sump brand mine is a 75 gallon glass tank that i partitioned to my needs.

I wanted to grab a 55 gallon and turn that into a sump but unfortunately I'm not in the right spot for that. I'll get there :beer:

I'm thinking about going with this one (http://www.marinedepot.com/Trigger_Systems_Ruby_ELITE_Sump_Complete_Aquarium_Sump_Units-Trigger_Systems_LLC-6E81641-FIFRBSCU-vi.html) but I'm not sure I like that the skimmer sits after the refugium. This one (http://www.marinedepot.com/Trigger_Systems_Ruby_Sump_Complete_Aquarium_Sump_Units-Trigger_Systems_LLC-6E81640-FIFRBSCU-vi.html) has a more direct route through, however, it doesn't have a dedicated refugium drain line like the other one, which is nice.

Any Trigger sump owners out there? I'm open to other sumps like the aqueon pro flex, but don't it as much as the trigger systems. :confused:

pmcarbrey
07/23/2015, 11:00 PM
I personally dislike both of those models simply because I prefer to place my skimmer in the first chamber, the more room between it and the return pump the less chance of micro bubbles making their way into the display. Past that I have no criticism of the design other than that it seems a bit over engineered.

BillNye
07/23/2015, 11:47 PM
I personally dislike both of those models simply because I prefer to place my skimmer in the first chamber, the more room between it and the return pump the less chance of micro bubbles making their way into the display. Past that I have no criticism of the design other than that it seems a bit over engineered.

Doesn't the second model do that? That model puts the skimmer in the first chamber and the return in the third/last chamber.

Isaacs55
07/23/2015, 11:58 PM
If your looking for a sump that is not only high quality but looks good and price isn't an issue I would check out synergy reef systems. http://synergyreef.com/product-category/sumps/
My buddy just baught one from them and he loves it! If I had the heart to buy one I would.

Sgt Jonny Cat
07/24/2015, 05:11 AM
DIY is the way to go. Just you tube diy sumps and its super easy. I did it and it was my first DIY project. It was actually a fun project and I was able to design it the way I wanted it. I got a 30 gallon tank for 10.00 on craigslist, and bought the baffles at the local glass shop real cheap.

KSU_WILDCAT
07/24/2015, 05:56 AM
I have a trigger sump on my 220 and I also have a 40B sump on my frag tank. At the end of the day, they both do basically the same thing. I love my trigger sump It was easy and looks good. I think I saved 250 bucks by doing the 40B.

civics14
07/24/2015, 07:31 AM
I had a 40b sump on my 70g, it functioned like it should, but at the end of the day, I was never really happy with it. I ended up with a Trigger System Sump myself (emerald26) and I really like it. I like the aesthetics of it. I keep it clean and organized under my tank. I think it's up to the individual, some people care what it looks like down there and some don't. Those do, end up buying a fancy sump like this as it is part of their reef tank show piece.

Isaacs55
07/24/2015, 07:37 AM
Synergy reef systems is where it's at when it comes to luxury sumps. Aesthetically pleasing check it out...

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag423/isaacjtorres24/Mobile%20Uploads/1front_SS-34-e1433124001535_zpstrgbigvn.jpg (http://s1374.photobucket.com/user/isaacjtorres24/media/Mobile%20Uploads/1front_SS-34-e1433124001535_zpstrgbigvn.jpg.html)

civics14
07/24/2015, 07:52 AM
wow, yeah, that is freaking cool look Isaacs. I would have to agree, much nicer looking that the Trigger sumps.

Isaacs55
07/24/2015, 07:56 AM
They have a few in stock I think. They mostly take orders for custom sumps but have a few in stock for ideas. Synergy reefs systems they're called. If i was going all out I would definitely buy one from them lol

Sk8r
07/24/2015, 08:00 AM
For a sump, basically you need 3 - 4 chambers, one for the inflow, a really big plain one for the refugium and skimmer, and a third one for pumps. You don't want bioballs, lids, wet-dry, or anything of the sort if you have a reef or might ever want one. Any complication in the system can provide a place where gunk builds up and raises nitrate.

Greybeard
07/24/2015, 08:01 AM
I have a 3rd gen EShopps R100. Nice design, I'm happy with it. Return section is a bit narrow, limits your return pump options. Aside from that, great sump :)

http://www.aquacave.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/700x/8f39017fa9e41584ae4b73c321149768/e/s/eshopps-refugium3-r100-700.jpg

Sk8r
07/24/2015, 10:26 AM
I have an Eshopps Rs 200 which has done well. Pull the sponge. Yep, I have to clean feather dusters off my skimmer pump intake (did this morning) which slow down the skimmer but the sponge can raise nitrate.

undeadmoto
07/24/2015, 11:03 AM
I am actually going to get the 36" ruby for my 75g and there is plenty of room in the first chamber for your skimmer.

Jas111
07/24/2015, 12:55 PM
For the price you can't beat Trigger systems sumps. Currently running Emerald 34 which was an upgrade from the Eshopps RS 200. Little bigger with a refugium..

hotdogmj71
07/24/2015, 06:34 PM
I have the ruby 30e. It has a separate area for a small refugium & flow can be regulated. Plenty of room for a skimmer in the 1st section.

http://www.triggersys.com/test/ruby-specs/