PDA

View Full Version : PSA: If you're using a Jebao DC pump, cut the tube adapter

BrettDS
07/24/2015, 11:24 AM
I purchased a Jebao DC series pump a week or two ago and it came with an adapter to connect three different sizes of tube (see the picture below). The pump it replaced was using the middle size and I thought about cutting the smallest one off of the adapter, but I figured that since I didn't plan to run the pump at full strength it wouldn't make much of a difference, so I just used it as is.

Last night I saw the thread on here about periodically ramping up the return pump to simulate a surge and wanted to play around with that idea a bit, so I decided to go ahead and cut off the smallest adapter to remove any restriction and I was actually surprised at how much of a difference it made. After trimming the adapter I put it back in place and started the pump up again and my apex began to alarm due to a low water condition in the sump because the pump was moving that much more water at the same setting.

I had to drop the pump back from the 75% that I was running it at to 60% in order to get the water to go back to the original level in the sump.

Vinny Kreyling
07/24/2015, 05:00 PM
Stands to reason, acted just like a ball valve by restricting the flow.

BrettDS
07/24/2015, 08:18 PM
Yeah, it definitely makes sense and I figured that it would make a difference if I was running the pump flat out, but I mistakenly assumed that it wouldn't matter much with the pump not at full speed. Just wanted to post and let anyone else who might make the same assumption know.

tfp
08/07/2015, 07:24 AM
good call! I need to do that on my pond pump this weekend.