PDA

View Full Version : Adding Rock & QT Waiting Games

Irishman360
07/24/2015, 10:06 PM
When I first started my tank I was improperly informed about how much live rock and etc I need in my tank. Until I came to this website, it redeemed my decision starting a SW tank. I have 10 extra pounds of rock from when I first started, when I found out I needed more rock in my tank I just took the old ones out, threw them in a box and let it be. Now I am thinking about adding them back into my tank.

What would be the proper way to introduce them back into my tank?

They have been sitting dry ever since I took them out. I do have a small CUC in my DT now, since it is cycled.

I am almost at 2 weeks for my fish being in the QT and can not wait for them to go in my DT!!! I was wondering if anyone came up with anything to help pass time by quicker with them being in the QT?

Maybe do little scratches on the glass with a dry erase marker like they do in jail/prison or something? The wait is killing me!!!:headwally:

Another quick thing. My nitrate is at 20PPM should I be worried about it? I do ghost feed the tank every 2-3 days to mimic the bio-load that will be introduced to it.

rt67ghy
07/25/2015, 03:57 AM
I'd expect everything on the old rocks have died so they need to be cycled. I'd put them in a bucket with water from DT and provide constant flow with a powerhead. You may need to use a heater if temp is low. I'd test for ammonia every 24 hrs until I see zero ammonia. Then I'd test for nitrites until that is also zero. Then it should be ok to put them in DT after rinsing with DT water.

I'd bring the nitrates down to 5ppm or less or you'll have serious HA issues and probably cyano.

To pass the time I'd throw some chaeto into the sump, provide lighting and watch it grow. If you have space you could even do a DIY algae scrubber which will help you in the long run by helping to control your nitrates and PO4. This will take time to get it right and will take 2-3 weeks before you'll have algae growing on it. Also it's fun to do.

If you don't have a PO4 test kit I'd get a Hanna ULR phosphorus checker which will give you readings in the low range that'll help you when you want to keep LPS/SPS corals. You could check PO4 at this early stage and avoid it becoming an issue later.

This is all I can think of at the moment. If you have further questions please feel free to ask.

Irishman360
07/25/2015, 08:05 PM
Bump

Irishman360
07/25/2015, 08:14 PM
I'd expect everything on the old rocks have died so they need to be cycled. I'd put them in a bucket with water from DT and provide constant flow with a powerhead. You may need to use a heater if temp is low. I'd test for ammonia every 24 hrs until I see zero ammonia. Then I'd test for nitrites until that is also zero. Then it should be ok to put them in DT after rinsing with DT water.

I'd bring the nitrates down to 5ppm or less or you'll have serious HA issues and probably cyano. what are HA issues? As well as cyano?

To pass the time I'd throw some chaeto into the sump, provide lighting and watch it grow. If you have space you could even do a DIY algae scrubber which will help you in the long run by helping to control your nitrates and PO4. This will take time to get it right and will take 2-3 weeks before you'll have algae growing on it. Also it's fun to do. what is the algae scrubber? Will I be able to find it in the DIY forum?

If you don't have a PO4 test kit I'd get a Hanna ULR phosphorus checker which will give you readings in the low range that'll help you when you want to keep LPS/SPS corals. You could check PO4 at this early stage and avoid it becoming an issue later. what is PO4?

This is all I can think of at the moment. If you have further questions please feel free to ask.