PDA

View Full Version : Chiller- so confusing!!

mitek2
07/25/2015, 07:03 AM
I have a RedSea Max C130. 34gal reef and a few fish. I keep the room temperature cool but the tank still runs between 80-82.
I've tried fans on top and leaving the hood open, but the heat stays around 82.

I'm starting to look at chillers, but there are so many and I don't really know what I'm looking for. Any advice for 34 gallon tank? What else would I need i.e. a pump and tubing? The RSM comes with attachments for the intake and output so I think all I need is tubing pump and chiller. Any advice is welcome!

sbeason
07/25/2015, 07:35 AM
Get a 1/15th or 1/10th HP chiller. Also get an MJ1200 feed pump for it. something in the range of 290gph

Vinny Kreyling
07/25/2015, 08:15 AM
Chillers are rated by the difference in room temp & desired tank temp according to gallons.
One thing I would say is not to try using a smaller unit, it will run much longer.
If you can vent out through a window do it, they put out a lot of heat into a room.
So if it's a choice between 1/15th or 1/10th get the latter.

ca1ore
07/25/2015, 08:25 AM
Sure you need a chiller? Unless you are keeping deep or cool water animals, 82 degrees is no big deal. Also, how cool do you keep the room, and what equipment do you think is adding heat? For example, just replacing an inefficient main pump can get you a couple of degrees and its a whole lot cheaper than a chiller. Just sayin'

ericarenee
07/25/2015, 08:30 AM
Sure you need a chiller? Unless you are keeping deep or cool water animals, 82 degrees is no big deal. Also, how cool do you keep the room, and what equipment do you think is adding heat? For example, just replacing an inefficient main pump can get you a couple of degrees and its a whole lot cheaper than a chiller. Just sayin'

I Think he will need a chiller..

I have a friend who has the same tank and says when he called the manufacturer they told him the tank REQUIRES A Chiller . My Friend says the top of the hook gets so hot you could cook a egg on it..:furious::furious:.... HE Finally took the top off and tossed it then put a kessel light on it.......

They are Flawed in design.... From one review of a Friend....:furious:

ca1ore
07/25/2015, 08:40 AM
Perhaps so - I wouldn't touch those all in one setups with the proverbial 10 foot pole. That running cooling fans made no difference just strikes me as odd (particularly in an AC room). As somebody who ran large chillers for many years, I'd look at ALL alternatives before going down that road again.

Frozenguy
07/25/2015, 10:24 AM
Be aware that the hp rating on chillers is not a rating of it's cooling ability, but how much power it draws.

Check out it's btu removal rating

slief
07/25/2015, 11:49 AM
82* is fine in most reefs. My tank gets to 82 during the summer and I have no issues. If you are gettting to 84*, than that would be a different story. You might consider a different return pump that runs cooler. That could help assuming your home is kept as cool as you suggest. It could also be lighting that is contributing to your issue which is another can of worms but 82 isn't something you need to worry about. I've been letting my tank get that warm for years and have my chiller shut off as a result of not needing it.