PDA

View Full Version : 120 gallon lower pane cracked

metzz71
07/25/2015, 09:02 AM
I have a 120 gallon that I just recently resealed. During the leak test it spent nearly 6 hours holding water then I heard a big boom. the bottom pane cracked from front to back almost directly in the middle with a slight bow. Is this tank salvageable? Can a bead of silicone save it (doubt it)? Could I buy a new pane to lay over the top and silicone it in place? If so, would it be best to leave the new seal in place and get a piece a 1/4" smaller on all sides and seal it? or remove all the sealant lay it in place and seal? Thoughts and suggestions please! I am so bummed as I thought I had just saved my tank with a reseal!!!

pmcarbrey
07/25/2015, 09:09 AM
I would either do a complete rebuild, cut out all the panels and buy a new bottom panel, or I would buy a new one. It's not worth the risk of doing a patch job and having it fail six months from now when your tank is fully set up

E46er
07/25/2015, 10:35 AM
Id personally buy a new one. 120 Gal on your floor could do 10s of thousands of dollars in damage let alone before any fish or corals. all for what? a $500 tank?

ca1ore
07/26/2015, 08:29 AM
The ONLY way to properly fix a broken panel is to completely diasassemble the tank, clean it of all the old silicone, and rebuild it with a new bottom panel. I'd suggest that absent some experience building tanks, this is not something the lay person should attempt. That your tank broke in such a way suggest some fundamental flaw in the stand or your floor.

Also, FWIW, resealing a tank is pointless IMO. If it has a leak, that means that the structural silicone betwwn the panels is compromised. Running a bead of silicone along the inside corners (which is what most people consider 'resealing') may stop the observable leak, but it does nothing to repair the structural failure. It's 'lipstick on a pig'.

kegogut
07/26/2015, 08:40 AM
Get a new tank for sure.

sleepydoc
07/26/2015, 09:00 AM
+1 to ca1ore's comments - s/he hit the nail on the head. If you're thinking about rebuilding the tank, remember that each of the larger panels weighs 40+ lbs and you need to put down a bead of silicone, maneuver it in place and keep it stable in position while doing that 3 more times, all before the silicone starts to skin over. Like many things, it seems easy until you get into the details.

jkcoon
07/26/2015, 09:01 AM
Id personally buy a new one. 120 Gal on your floor could do 10s of thousands of dollars in damage let alone before any fish or corals. all for what? a $500 tank?

You will hear no wiser words

Bmplank86
07/26/2015, 12:54 PM
Unless it's an important tank to keep I'd replace the pane or get a new tank.