PDA

View Full Version : What causes refractometers to "go bad" ?

LessThanJaker1
07/25/2015, 01:04 PM
I was testing a new bath of water and started wondering what is it that causes refractometers to lose its effectiveness.

I've had the same one for about 7 years now. What would I begin to experience to tell me it's time for a new one?

disc1
07/25/2015, 01:22 PM
If you don't bang it around and damage the crystal or the optics then it should last forever. They don't "wear out" unless you damage them.

LessThanJaker1
07/25/2015, 01:37 PM
Thanks, David. That's what I think as well. I often see threads pop up from time to time saying such as "..i have an old refractometer and think it's time to upgrade…" with reasons only related to having it for a long time. So it would make me think, "CRAP! maybe i need to buy a new one" lol

hkgar
07/25/2015, 03:06 PM
Guess that technology never changes. Although I did buy a digital refractometer and never use it. Too much trouble

billdogg
07/25/2015, 05:57 PM
Mine worked perfectly until one day. When I dropped it on the cement floor. Then I got another one. I've been trying real hard not to drop this one.....

gone fishin
07/25/2015, 06:00 PM
yeah that sudden impact with the ground usually does not end well.

Sugar Magnolia
07/26/2015, 05:11 AM
Mine worked perfectly until one day. When I dropped it on the cement floor. Then I got another one. I've been trying real hard not to drop this one.....

I need to buy a new one. Mine met the hardwood floor and I keep having to recalibrate it.

kga943
07/26/2015, 06:56 AM
dropping them messes them up, after 3 times i purchased a milwaukee ma887 and glad i did works great for 90.00 bucks

reefwiser
07/26/2015, 07:29 AM
+1 on the Milwaukee. [emoji3]

laugh
07/26/2015, 07:35 AM
I had an ma887 and didn't like it. Sure it was very easy to use but the +\- 2 ppt was bothersome to me. That is a 4 ppt spread. I could never get it to read the same even using the same sample.

kwassing
07/26/2015, 09:26 AM
also if you get water in the calibration screw and it gets inside the refrac, its done as well.

LessThanJaker1
07/26/2015, 09:32 AM
also if you get water in the calibration screw and it gets inside the refrac, its done as well.

Do you happen to know what gets damage if this were to happen? Or how can someone tell if this happened?

kwassing
07/26/2015, 10:06 AM
Well, the one i have that I use for work (for beverage brixing) is probably pretty much the same as the ones for the tank just in different values. I think mine goes from 0 - 40. Anyway, I would assume its more of a moisture issue inside the refract. Possibly cloudy sight glass? I have never gotten mine submerged or water inside so I cant tell you exactly what will happen. Just that it says do not get water in or around the calibration screw, and that my boss told me if I get water or anything inside its done. The one I have comes with distilled water or some kind of water that has a zero reading to "calibrate" it to 0. I have had mine for almost 2 years now and I use it daily at work, several times a day. I have never had to calibrate it since I got it, but I have also never dropped it and it always reads 0 when tested. Also possible I have a high quality one as well. It came with a nice hard case, calibration water, calibration screw driver, wipes and all.