PDA

View Full Version : How much kalkwasser to dose at the beginning?

texdoc77
07/26/2015, 03:53 PM
I have a 55gal mixed reef tank and would like to stabilize ca and alk with kalkwasser. I have decided for various reasons to begin with a set amount dripped overnight. I will check my parameters when I arrive back home in the evening. Can some one recommend a reasonable starting amount for my first night and I can titrate from there? I have looked for some calculators for this and also threads and I know I have seen it before, but I must not be using the correct search terms. My current dkh is 7.7 and ca is 385 with a mag of 1300. pH runs low so that should not be an issue, however, I do have an alarm on my apex in case it gets out of hand...

Thanks in advance

Sk8r
07/26/2015, 04:11 PM
The answer depends on the amount of stony coral you're trying to feed.
Before starting kalk, fix your params ats 420 calcium by dosing calcium, also 8.3 alk via buffer, and 1300 or higher magnesium.

texdoc77
07/26/2015, 05:24 PM
I currently have one torch with three heads, a 6"x4" piece of favia a trumpet colony and one pocillopora.

What two part do you recommend for optimizing my levels?

texdoc77
07/27/2015, 07:36 AM
That sounds right to fix my levels. How far apart in time should I dose if I take the next couple of days to get my levels right? Also does anyone have a recommendation on a good two part dosing regimen?

And then once the levels are up, then how much kalkwasser should I start with? Is there some kind of equation based on how much two-part it takes to raise the level a certain amount or is it more trial and error?

littlec984
07/27/2015, 08:00 AM
I currently have one torch with three heads, a 6"x4" piece of favia a trumpet colony and one pocillopora.

What two part do you recommend for optimizing my levels?

I don't believe that you have enough live stock currently in your tank that will use up too much cal. You should be able to maintain your parameters for now with regular water changes.

texdoc77
07/27/2015, 08:10 AM
I don't believe that you have enough live stock currently in your tank that will use up too much cal. You should be able to maintain your parameters for now with regular water changes.

I agree with you, and I do at LEAST a 10% wc weekly with reef crystals. However, my tank parameters disagree with us both. Alkalinity and calcium are slowly declining and my parameters I posted above are after my weekly wc yesterday.

So I will go ahead and answer then next question that is bound to be asked. :spin2:
So how do you measure your parameters, what test kits do you use?

I use red sea and although there is always room for error, I do trust the trends over time these kits give, and my trend has been decreasing...

texdoc77
07/30/2015, 02:27 PM
OK, alk and ca levels are leveled. I have read that you can start anywhere from 1-3% of your tank volume, which for me would be 0.5 to 1 gallon. I have also seen where you can use 1-2 tsp kalk per gallon fresh water as a starting point. Does this seem practical as a starting point, using half saturated kalkwasser at 0.5gal daily?

Thanks in advance.

Silly clownfish
07/30/2015, 02:59 PM
I agree with you, and I do at LEAST a 10% wc weekly with reef crystals. However, my tank parameters disagree with us both. Alkalinity and calcium are slowly declining and my parameters I posted above are after my weekly wc yesterday.

Well, for starters, have you tested your freshly mixed salt water that you are using for changes? I use REef Crystals too and test every new box/bag and have found the numbers below to be about average

At 1.025
Ca 380-400
Mg 1270-1300
pH 8.0
DKh 11-12

So your water changes might actually lower your Ca... Personally I deal with this by dosing my change water with calcium choloride (kent turbo calc) and tech m while mixing in the salt.

That said, to answer your kalk question, your volume should roughly equal what your tank evaporates each day :D Since you have a low demand, I would start with 1/2 tsp of kalk/gallon and adjust as your testing indicates.

Btw, I used the overnight drip method for many years on my 30g tank and it worked well. When I was on vacation I could have a neighbor do a double dose every other day and it worked fine.

Kim