PDA

View Full Version : Repairing tank frame

MrCaveman
07/27/2015, 12:13 PM
I scored on a 90g full setup dry. While moving the tank, the front left corner of the top frame came undone. The silicone and glass are still intact and the center brace is fine. What happened is the two frame pieces separated. This happened while moving so I know the tank wasn't like this before. It is a 9yr old visio tank. Can this corner be re-glued and or is the tank unsafe to fill?

sleepydoc
07/27/2015, 12:58 PM
That's odd - it looks like the corners were actually mitered and welded and it just broke along the seam. Most frames are molded as a single piece. It's possible it broke during moving, or that is was broken before. You could try welding it with some ABS cement and then fill the tank once it's fully cured to see if it holds. Normally I'd say ditch the tank, but there's not a ton of stress where that joint is, and it was never a strong joint to begin with.

akmzero
07/27/2015, 01:17 PM
Yeah that really doesn't look bad. Like sleep said, get some plastic weld glue and ram it in there

MrCaveman
07/27/2015, 11:19 PM
Thanks, im gona get some plastic weld and fill it in. Repainting the stand, canopy and tank back tomorrow. I'm planning on doing a deep sea softy and non-photosynthetic reef in this one.

JamesHolt
07/28/2015, 12:03 AM
Cheaper and safer to just replace it.. Below is where I got mine

http://www.aquariumframeswholesale.com/