PDA

View Full Version : Good softies with bright colors!

PfenWendt
07/27/2015, 05:48 PM
I am new to corals, and am in love with soft corals. They're all i plan to add in my tank...maybe one or two LPS. I just want to hear some opinions on some soft corals to add that'll help brighten up the tank a bit and add some movement. I currently have a GSP frag that looks amazing in the blue actinic lights, a mettalic green leather, a toadstool, and a piece of rock with yellow colony polyps on it. The greener the coral the better imo ;) I plan to add some pulsing xenias...i had a frag of them but they didn't do to well at all so now that i have had it running longer and my parameters more in check i might give them another try.

3dees
07/28/2015, 11:21 AM
this is my 120 gal. reef. mostly softies and a few lps. not as colorful as sps, but I don't have to dose anything. for green get a neon cabbage. not expensive and easy to keep.

PfenWendt
07/28/2015, 02:46 PM
this is my 120 gal. reef. mostly softies and a few lps. not as colorful as sps, but I don't have to dose anything. for green get a neon cabbage. not expensive and easy to keep.

Your tank is looking good! I am going to for sure keep an eye out for a neon cabbage, thanks for the suggestion :wavehand:

Fallling
07/29/2015, 01:53 PM
For colorful stuff, you might have to hunt around a bit, but it's out there. Clavularia can come in purple w/fluorescent gold streaks or neon green. I like DD for colorful leathers including sinularia, toadstool, capnella, Lobophytum - green/pinks/blues/yellows. There's always zoas/palys as well.

SaltandLight
08/02/2015, 06:44 AM
When I first started out, I had a few ricordea that really added some color to the tank. St. Thomas mushrooms are pretty nice too. Rock anemones might also be something to think about.

Sipiku
08/12/2015, 07:44 AM
I am new to corals, and am in love with soft corals. They're all i plan to add in my tank...maybe one or two LPS. I just want to hear some opinions on some soft corals to add that'll help brighten up the tank a bit and add some movement. I currently have a GSP frag that looks amazing in the blue actinic lights, a mettalic green leather, a toadstool, and a piece of rock with yellow colony polyps on it. The greener the coral the better imo ;) I plan to add some pulsing xenias...i had a frag of them but they didn't do to well at all so now that i have had it running longer and my parameters more in check i might give them another try.

I am in the same boat as you and am also looking for some really great looking soft corals. If I run past any I will be sure to let you know!

jayball
08/12/2015, 08:39 AM
For splashes of bright color Zoanthid and Ricordia Florida colonies will do the trick. You will get lots of florescent green and red out of some Zoa's and if you pick the right Ric's there are greens, yellows, and orange that will fluoresce and look good during daylight viewing.

When you are ready to drop some LPS in there anything from the Euphillia family produces good color and movement.

PfenWendt
08/14/2015, 06:12 PM
I am in the same boat as you and am also looking for some really great looking soft corals. If I run past any I will be sure to let you know!

Always good to help fellow reefers :) ill let you know aswell if I find any :D

Whiterabbitrage
08/14/2015, 06:40 PM
Where are you located? I've got a neon green cabbage leather I'd love to get rid of.

PfenWendt
08/15/2015, 01:53 PM
Where are you located? I've got a neon green cabbage leather I'd love to get rid of.

Im in Minnesota, ill shoot you a message after im off work, my boss doesnt like me on forums during work ;) and we may be able yo work something out :)