PDA

View Full Version : best coral glue/epoxy?

E46er
07/27/2015, 11:38 PM
so Ive always used tunze coral fix epoxy and was never really that impressed with it. A local reefer said he used the ecotech coral glue so I grabbed the small bottle and while it worked much better than the tunze its expensive and the bottle is hard to squeeze once it gets about 1/2 way empty and the spout no longer really works so I end up making a mess with it. cost isnt the main concern but when i pay $25 for a tiny bottle and bascially the last 1/3 i cant get out I figure why not ask if there are better options out?
What have people tried, liked, didnt like and currently using??

cheers

Lucky Lefty
07/27/2015, 11:46 PM
I've been using regular super glue gel. Just picked up a 10 pack at harbor freight for a couple dollars.
works well so far.

lhof
07/28/2015, 12:26 AM
I've used loctite superglue control gel since i started in the hobby a couple years ago. Found it,liked it, never switched. Cures quick enough & never had a problem with it causing bubbles or anything else.

The control tip is great for small frag applications. Size is perfect so you don't feel like you lost out if it turns into a rock. I get each for about $3 at Home Depot. And I always keep a few on hand.

I combo it with the 2 little fishies grey aquastik putty and use the glue-putty-glue sandwich method.

btucker7587
07/28/2015, 12:57 AM
Gorilla Glue Gel Superglue. Way more glue for the cost than Loctite glue. Works great.

Mark426
07/28/2015, 05:02 AM
Me too

I've used loctite superglue control gel since i started in the hobby a couple years ago. Found it,liked it, never switched. Cures quick enough & never had a problem with it causing bubbles or anything else.

The control tip is great for small frag applications. Size is perfect so you don't feel like you lost out if it turns into a rock. I get each for about $3 at Home Depot. And I always keep a few on hand.

I combo it with the 2 little fishies grey aquastik putty and use the glue-putty-glue sandwich method.

CuzzA
07/28/2015, 05:42 AM
10 pack Harbor Freight for a couple bucks. Super Glue is super glue. Gotta love the marine aquarium hobby retailers that will slap "Aquarium Use" on the container and sell it for 5x as much. Lol.

ViktorVaughn
07/28/2015, 07:45 AM
I've never used anything other than cheap dollar store super glue gel and epoxy from petco. Like ihof mentioned use the combo method and you shouldn't ever have a problem securing or having corals getting knocked loose. Put a small bead of gel on the coral/plug (dried off) with a ball of epoxy on top of the gel followed by another, slightly larger bead of gel on the epoxy. The gel on the coral holds the epoxy to it and the gel on the other side holds the coral to your rockwork while the epoxy is curing.

Xxero
07/28/2015, 09:55 AM
I use these, also utilizing the glue-putty-glue method:

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j383/bobbybean7/251-1022WaterWeld_zps2ks92mbj.jpg

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j383/bobbybean7/sg_ug_cntrl_zps6z3f0raa.png

Fallling
07/28/2015, 11:53 AM
I've used probably half a dozen different ones including Loctite, Gorilla, regular Krazy Glue, and found IC-GEL to be the best. It's super thick, cheap for the quantity, and comes with an extra cap and tip (this actually a surprisingly good benefit as the tips always get clogged at some point with any superglue I use). Combine with JB Water Weld, and stuff is staying put. Whatever you use, much sure the ingredients says only Cyanoacrylate with nothing else.

alton
07/28/2015, 01:23 PM
For SPS I use Seachem Super Glue it is much thicker, for my Frogspawn I use Two little Fishes two part epoxy.

E46er
07/28/2015, 08:55 PM
thanks guys!