PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Cerith Snails Outta Control

whatnot45
07/28/2015, 04:09 PM
So I ordered some Chaetomorph about 6 months ago from Liveaquaria, and it came with a bunch of little black snails that look like miniature black Cerith snails (fully grown they are about half an inch but most were much smaller juveniles). Anyways I was super excited... free clean up crew (my tank was new at the time). Now my reef is a lot more established, SPS are growing, fish are great, Theres no mechanical filtration, but the water is chrystal clear and nitrates range between 2 and 6 ppm. Anyways all is great except today I looked in the tank, and the entire sand bed is littered with thousands of baby snails. Most are only the size of a pin head, but there are thousands and thousands of them....

Should I be worried? What if they all grow up and take over everything? For right now they aren't a big deal because they are so tiny, but some of the others started off that small and now they are half an inch long... Does anyone know anything that will eat them to keep them under control?

AdamNC
07/29/2015, 02:46 PM
They will self regulate. As there is less food they will die off, but double edge is if too many die off they might cause an ammonia and/or nitrate spike.

Shawn O
07/30/2015, 12:59 PM
I bet you can find a few other fish guys around your area that would love some free snails.