PDA

View Full Version : 45 Cube LED Recommendations

40gal
07/29/2015, 03:57 PM
I posted in the Kessil club thread, hoping to get insight from actual Kessil owners but didn't get a direct response to my question.

I currently have a MAX-S 110w LED setup that is OLD. I think the MAX-S was the first line they produced. My blue channel just went out the other day, so my hand is forced to upgrade. I like the clean look of the Kessils and think they may be a good fit, however I have a couple reservations.

1. I want to have flexibility in color and intensity using my Apex, which I currently don't have now with the MAX-S. (Kessil does)

2. The tank is a 24x24x18 rimless cube. Is a single A360WE sufficient? I believe it is rated at 90w, and my current setup at 110w seems underpowered. I also know that LED technology has come a long way since the MAX-S was produced.

3. I like the idea of having moonlighting, but with the kessil that is not an option. How important (other than asthetics) should that be in picking a LED setup?

4. Price is an option. Are there other LED options that I should consider at or near this pricepoint ($400)?

Any recommendations? I'd like to order something in the next day or so. Thanks guys!

zachfishman
07/29/2015, 04:07 PM
2. The tank is a 24x24x18 rimless cube. Is a single A360WE sufficient?
Absolutely. You'll have more than enough power to grow SPS most everywhere.

3. I like the idea of having moonlighting, but with the kessil that is not an option. How important (other than asthetics) should that be in picking a LED setup?
IMO it has little to no importance for your reef. It's only if you want it or not. It would be easy to add with some cheap plug and play LEDs from a variety of sources if you really want it later on.

4. Price is an option. Are there other LED options that I should consider at or near this pricepoint ($400)?

The Radion XR15 Pro and AI Hydra 26 are great fixtures. I don't like disco effect so Kessil was my choice.

40gal
07/29/2015, 04:08 PM
Zach, thanks for the reply. I'd love to hear more opinions.

zachfishman
07/29/2015, 04:08 PM
If you like DIY this is a really cool way to add moonlights to Kessils: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2215243&highlight=kessil+moon

40gal
07/29/2015, 04:10 PM
Very nice, a diy dimable version of that would be nice

40gal
07/29/2015, 06:44 PM
Should I even be considering the tuna sun? It seems that some are using that on reef tanks.

zachfishman
07/29/2015, 07:37 PM
Should I even be considering the tuna sun? It seems that some are using that on reef tanks.

Tuna Sun is for FW and planted systems. Dials between something like 5K-8K color temp. Tuna Blue is for us reefers.

40gal
07/29/2015, 07:39 PM
Just pulled the trigger. It should arrive on Friday. Looking forward to seeing how things respond.

zachfishman
07/30/2015, 08:36 AM
Went with the Kessil? Be sure to use acclimation mode (controller) or manually start dim and slowly being up your brightness over several weeks. Kessils are much more powerful than they seem and lots of people have burned their corals when first setting them up.

40gal
07/30/2015, 01:03 PM
Yes, the A360we. I will be connecting to my apex, so I will have to setup a profile for acclimation. I haven't used the variable speed ports yet, so there will be a bit of a learning curve there. Any recommendations on intensity levels during acclimation?

zachfishman
07/30/2015, 01:07 PM
Still learning that myself. Will depend a lot on what you ran before. The Kessil thread should have a lot of recs.

I switched from the Solana 150w MH (hung low to the water) last week and have been running the A360WE at 30% during the day with no issues yet. Going to increase to 40% next week to see how that goes.