PDA

View Full Version : Rusty tools due to reefing - what to do?

skimjim
07/29/2015, 04:27 PM
I have several pilers and wrenches that I've used in and around my sump. I was not thoughtful by not wiping the tools off and left them near saltwater. They are now rusty to the point where the handles cant be opened or closed. Rusted solid.

What product can I SOAK these tools in to help restore my pilers and wrenches to usable condition? (where pilers and wrenches can easily open and close)

alb_56
07/29/2015, 04:33 PM
I use Hoppes gun lubricant for mine. Just a couple drops in the seams and then try and work tem open and closed for a couple days. My pair if pliers that rusted **** I can swing open and closed easily with one finger now.

billsreef
07/29/2015, 04:58 PM
A good penetrating oil.

saf1
07/29/2015, 05:17 PM
What others have said. However, I'd probably just dispose of them and get a new set and take better care of them or anything else that could rust. Store in another location. Everything else wipe down accordingly.

Not trying to be a poo head by any means although maybe it reads like it. Just a few extra minutes may save you money down the road or have the tool available in case of an emergency.

AdamNC
07/29/2015, 05:36 PM
Is WD-40 safe, of coarse after it's been rinsed with tap water and left to air dry?

skimjim
07/29/2015, 06:25 PM
What others have said. However, I'd probably just dispose of them and get a new set and take better care of them or anything else that could rust. Store in another location. Everything else wipe down accordingly.

Not trying to be a poo head by any means although maybe it reads like it. Just a few extra minutes may save you money down the road or have the tool available in case of an emergency.

yeah, with harbor-freight and dollar-trees, general dollars, etc around me.... probably worth investing in new tools rather than money spent on wd40 or oil.

why spend $5 on oil when i can buy brand-new china-made knockoff tools...?

billsreef
07/29/2015, 07:02 PM
You don't have already have oil hanging around?

D-Nak
07/30/2015, 10:12 AM
A soak in vinegar might do the trick. I soaked my bone cutters and scissors that I use for fragging overnight in a 50/50 mix of water and vinegar. It doesn't remove all of the rust, but gets the tools to the point where they can be used again.

gone fishin
07/30/2015, 10:16 AM
I use some WD40 on the moving parts occasionally.

MondoBongo
07/30/2015, 10:48 AM
if it is something NOT going in to the water, you can't beat PB Blaster in my opinion.

been using it for years on cars. if it can't loose up a bolt or a joint, then you're either gonna need the torch, or the reciprocating saw.

mockdaddy
07/30/2015, 05:26 PM
Try soaking them in Coka-Cola. Reef safe and works wonders on rust. May take a few days depending on how rusted the tools are.

Shawn O
07/31/2015, 08:27 AM
if it is something NOT going in to the water, you can't beat PB Blaster in my opinion.

been using it for years on cars. if it can't loose up a bolt or a joint, then you're either gonna need the torch, or the reciprocating saw.

↑↑THIS↑↑

PB blast makes my dikes move like new after sitting in a humid environment for a couple of weeks. Those things would rust solid any time I left them sitting for a month. Once you get them working well, use a high-speed wire wheel on a bench grinder to remove the rust completely from any areas you can.