PDA

View Full Version : Sand fleas reef safe?

running scott
07/30/2015, 05:17 PM
I know they aren't really a flea, but that's what we call them down here in Florida. I was thinking they might be a good live food for a Harlequin tusk, and a Toby blue spotted puffer fish I am thinking about adding to my tank. Anyone have any experience with them? They are easy to collect at the beach here. Fishermen use them for bait.

Betta132
08/05/2015, 09:51 AM
Do you mean amphipods or mole crabs?
Tiny transparent shrimp things that hop around, or little weird fat things that look like runaway shrimp heads?

cloak
08/05/2015, 11:17 AM
If you haven't already, try using the search function at the top of the page. Either type in "sand fleas" or "sea cicadas" and see what pops up. GL.

FishAndAquatics
08/06/2015, 01:19 AM
They're 100% reef safe. I took some from my beach ( about 40) and acclimated them to my tank very slowly. They're still kickin after several years! I read on reefs2go, aquastockers, and other sites that they're reef safe as well. They don't have claws either so thats a plus. But a 4+ inch sand bed is needed to keep them alive!

Shawn O
08/06/2015, 01:26 PM
They're supposed to be filter feeders so it may be interesting to see their little net-thingies sticking out of the sand.

Great fun catching and playing with them as a kid in SoCal.

cloak
08/06/2015, 02:49 PM
+1

We used to catch them all the time at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. It was a mystery why the bucket stunk after a ~2 hour drive back to Stockton... ;)

Shawn O
08/07/2015, 12:00 PM
I usually went anywhere from Ocean Side to La Jolla, caught hundreds each visit. Never brought them home so I'll have to take your word for it. :thumbsup: