PDA

View Full Version : nitrofuracin green and CP safe for inverts?

coolxborg
08/01/2015, 04:28 PM
I recently bought an Anthias, Shrimp goby + tiger pistol from two different LFS's.

The goby and pistol have stayed together since I put them in my QT. Now, I want to treat with nitrofuracin green. Is this safe for the pistol?

I don't mind separating the two, but if its safe, Ill leave them together.

Also, want to treat with CP after nitrofuracin green. Same question for CP. Is CP also safe for inverts?

tmz
08/02/2015, 12:23 PM
I don't know if nitrofurazone would be lethal to the potential infestations or infections affecting marine fish nor do I know if it will harm invertebrates. It's typically used as a topical for some bacterial infections.
What is CP?

billsreef
08/02/2015, 05:01 PM
No to both. What are you trying to treat for?

coolxborg
08/02/2015, 07:29 PM
Tmz - I was referring to Chloroquine phosphate.

Billsreef - Essentially, I had two fish die during TTM (started another thread about it a week or two ago) so started looking for other QT alternatives. I then spoke to another member on here and he mentioned using nitrofuracin green powder + CP + Prazipro for a 6-8 week treatment during his QT. I want to give it a shot since Im hesitant to do TTM now.

However, I wasn't sure about using NGP and CP for inverts. From your answer, it sounds like a no-go for inverts.

Icefire
08/02/2015, 09:08 PM
I would only do CP + prazipro stagered

tmz
08/02/2015, 10:51 PM
Hmm. I've used TT for acclimation and treatment many times with good results for crytocaryon irritans prevention. Never lost a fish to it . Sometimes an infested fish won't survive the initial infestation though; no matter how you treat it. Sorry to hear about your losses. TT is not useful for other maladies; so, I follow the TT with QT for further observation. Of course if I observe symptoms other than ich during TT I treat accordingly. Do you know what killed your fish?

coolxborg
08/03/2015, 12:13 AM
I bought 3 Ignitus Anthias and only 1 survived. Im still not sure why they passed. Per the responses from my thread, it could be just from the shipping stress. Not sure.

The first one died after my first transfer (roughly ~50-60 hours). The second one after 6 days or so which I never saw eat. The last one is doing just fine and is in QT for observation.

I read a few other threads about using water from DT instead of fresh salt water. Im not sure if that was the issue.

In any case, Im not too comfortable with it at the moment and I don't want to keep losing fish so started researching for other alternatives.

tmz
08/03/2015, 12:59 AM
Alternatives are fine, thanks for the info. Sounds like it may have been some intestinal stuff; we'll never know. Anthias can be tricky. Keep us posted on your method . I don't know what your are hearing about the water but I prefer newly mixed water aged overnight vs dispaly tank water in TT. The later will contain organics and possibly some ammonia without the bacteria to process it.

billsreef
08/03/2015, 08:09 AM
Tmz - I was referring to Chloroquine phosphate.

Billsreef - Essentially, I had two fish die during TTM (started another thread about it a week or two ago) so started looking for other QT alternatives. I then spoke to another member on here and he mentioned using nitrofuracin green powder + CP + Prazipro for a 6-8 week treatment during his QT. I want to give it a shot since Im hesitant to do TTM now.

However, I wasn't sure about using NGP and CP for inverts. From your answer, it sounds like a no-go for inverts.

I expect the issue you had was more likely from shipping and handling stress, those Anthias come from a long ways off and are known for often having shipping related issues.

With the goby/shrimp pair, I would be inclined to go with a prolonged observational QT, and only treat for anything specifically observed as needed.

coolxborg
08/03/2015, 02:23 PM
Ok, Thanks for replies! If it goes well (or not), Ill post my experiences on here.

coolxborg
08/12/2015, 01:16 PM
Update: The only treatment that ive administered so far is Prazipro. Im on the 2nd dose.

Now, it seems that I see white spots on the watchman and none on the Anthias. I will treat all three of them with either TTM or C.P. Pictures below to ensure its Ich that im dealing with.

The other question is: if it is Ich, do I just now leave the pistol alone in a QT tank for 72 days while i treat the fish?

coolxborg
08/12/2015, 01:17 PM
Oops. Maybe i need to be in a different section of the site. Pls move, if needed.

bertoni
08/12/2015, 05:49 PM
I'd leave the pistol shrimp in an untreated quarantine tank for at least 72 days, but I am the cautious sort. It might carry a disease with it if it's moved into a tank with fish, although I don't know what the probability is.

coolxborg
08/13/2015, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the response. Ill keep the pistol shrimp in another QT.