PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much? Reefroids and phyto.

OliverS
08/01/2015, 04:46 PM
Ok so I just upgraded my starter 54l boyu tank to a Fluval osaka 155 with 2ft sump.

With the boyu I pretty much just dosed coral food and photo as I felt like it. Trying to get a more solid routine but can't get a straight answer.

If I ask various lfs how much water to change. Everyone immediately says 10% per week. Ask how much reefroids to use and how often. Or how much phyto to dose. It's like you are speaking a different language.

I know it depends on how many corals. How much water and other things are in the tank. But please can anyone provide a rule of thumb or something to give me a starting point.

OurLifeAquatic
08/01/2015, 04:56 PM
Maybe someone else will come along and offer you a formula, but imo it really does depend on the above mentioned variables. If you aren't trying to run an NPS tank I wouldn't over think it, as many people run excellent reefs without feeding their coral anything at all.

That said, a basic starting point would be to add the RR and Phyto once per week, the day before your water change. Live phyto is ideal (I like reefgen) but Reef Nutrition Phyto-feast is a good alternative. I would do a small pinch of the RR and add enough phyto to turn the water in your tank BARELY green. I also recommend turning off your skimmer and removing your filter sock for a few hours after feeding so it all doesn't get caught (and turned into Nitrate) before your coral has a chance to go for it. I keep Flame Scallops, NPS Gorgonians, and Sun Polyps long term in my mixed reef and find this method to work quite well.

Best of Luck.

OliverS
08/02/2015, 10:03 AM
Thanks for the answers on both the frequency and the volume. Turns out I've been using nothing like enough phytoplankton. Really good idea to do it a day before the water change too.

Icefire
08/02/2015, 09:06 PM
RR can polute a tank really quick so don't add too much, try to target feed