PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer Troubleshooting

apstreck
08/02/2015, 11:20 AM
Just wondering what would cause the foam in the collection cup of the skimmer to stop breaking down.. my cup is full of foam and has been for days, but its not breaking down into skimmate like it usually does. I hadn't been running it for a while because it was acting up and skimming too wet, so I took it apart and cleaned it, and now its doing this. Bioload is very light so may be that but it used to always skim well for me.

Skimmer is an SCA 302
Salinity 1.025-26
Temp 79
Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites undetectable
pH ~8.1

slief
08/02/2015, 11:44 AM
Just wondering what would cause the foam in the collection cup of the skimmer to stop breaking down.. my cup is full of foam and has been for days, but its not breaking down into skimmate like it usually does. I hadn't been running it for a while because it was acting up and skimming too wet, so I took it apart and cleaned it, and now its doing this. Bioload is very light so may be that but it used to always skim well for me.

Skimmer is an SCA 302
Salinity 1.025-26
Temp 79
Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites undetectable
pH ~8.1

Your skimmer is dry skimming. Raise the water level in the skimmer up by closing the valve or wedge pipe on the effluent side. If you don't have a valve or wedge pipe, raise the sump level slightly. You might also be able to adjust to a wetter skim by playing with the air/water mixture.