PDA

View Full Version : Any Plumbers on this forum - Please help!

thakki
08/02/2015, 01:55 PM
I had posted few days back on plumbing my tank...I assumed the source of water will be from the T'd off CPVC line from the main water supply line. There are two T's on the main supply line. One going to front yard and the other going to back yard for hose connection. Both can be opened or closed right after the T on the main line. Its 1/2 inch cpvc line (in RED all three lines - in picture)...planning to put a T in one of these line and plumb as shown in the picture. Is it a good idea to do this? I spoke to a person on local hardware store...he says simple gate valves will not hold the pressure from the main water supply. I have no experience with plumbing...I dont want to take any changes putting a T where a simple ball valve cannot handle pressure. Also, please checkout the plan...I am also planning to reuse the same cpvc line to pump the RODI waste back to the yard for watering. Is this a concern? Is there a possibility of contaminating the main water supply even after 2 gate valves? If so, I could drop this plan...my main concern here is whether I can put a T on the main water supply. Here is more description of gate valves and their purpose.

Main water supply valves:

L - Remains closed. Opened when water supply for RODI is needed
N- Remains closed. Opened when salt water needs to be pumped into the tank at the time of water changes
O - Remains closed. Opened when water supply for RODI is needed
P - Remains opened. Closed in winter to avoid freezing temp.
Q - Remains opened. Closed when water supply for RODI is needed

Other valves:

A - remains closed. Opened at the time of water changes to drain the water from the DT.
B - remains opened. Closed at the time of water changes.
C - remains opened. Closed at the time of water changes to pump the fresh saltwater into the DT.
D - remains closed. Opened at the time of water changes.
E - remains closed. Opened at the time of refilling the ATO container with RODI water.
F - remains closed. Opened at the time of mixing saltwater.
G - pump to mix salt and RODI water.
H - pump to pump the saltwater into the DT via valve D.
J - check valve to avoid accidental siphoning of water back in to the sump.

ericarenee
08/02/2015, 02:07 PM
I Re run every inch of water and sewage line in this house 9 years ago when we bought it..
We toke a sawzaw and snap cutter for cast iron and cut it all out ..

I ran cpvc with brass ball valves with cpvc connector on the main then pvc ball valves at water heater outside lines and washer box...... My Rodi is connected to a 3/8 quarter turn shout off to 1/2 inch cpvc shut off valve..
so yes do not use the cheap cpvc gate valves...
We went from no water pressure to 80 psi... CAN Take a shower in both bathrooms and Wash laundry and still able to flush the toilet with NO PRESSURE LOSS.. Ran 3/4 thru the house then reduced to 1/2 right at the valves and fixures...

thakki
08/03/2015, 08:27 PM
Thanks. Any more suggestions?

LelandF.
08/03/2015, 09:20 PM
I'm a residential plumber in Indiana. Your main water line coming into the house should be 3/4" by code, not 1/2" FYI. That being said, you can use shark bite brand ball valves and tees on the cpvc, they just push on, and are very reliable, and are found at any hardware store these days.

Good luck,
Leland

ericarenee
08/04/2015, 08:58 AM
I'm a residential plumber in Indiana. Your main water line coming into the house should be 3/4" by code, not 1/2" FYI. That being said, you can use shark bite brand ball valves and tees on the cpvc, they just push on, and are very reliable, and are found at any hardware store these days.

Good luck,
Leland

I am a Carpenter.. But know a lot about plumbing electrical . Well most all trades...

First they may have improved over the years. But i would NOT ever bury one of those behind a wall or use where a finished product can be damaged from water...

I have made a a lot of money over the last few years because of Shark bite fittings and Pex crimp fittings failing behind a wall.. I know its often user error but still why risk it......

The plumbers we work with use them to temp block and re rout but would never use them perm ..........

Not Saying your wrong But my opinion they are BAD Idea...

Mark426
08/04/2015, 09:28 AM
I strongly agree with ericarenee.

LelandF.
08/05/2015, 05:36 AM
Well in his situation shark bite fittings are the best choice. I've not seen a shark bite fitting leak yet, but I've seen quite a few pex crimp rings leak. You should never put a valve inside a wall and cover it, that also is a code violation. They have to be exposed, and have ready access. I personally wouldn't have cpvc in my house, it breaks very easily, but the OP needs a valve installed, not a repipe of his whole house. CPVC valves that glue in place are junk, and a good way to flood a house.

Leland