PDA

View Full Version : My LFS just GAVE me an elegance coral!!!

texdoc77
08/02/2015, 10:09 PM
So maybe it's not so exciting as I made it out to be, but just the same I am kind of excited.

Here's the deal, I have been looking at getting an EC for about the last month or so. I hit up all the LFS in Austin and DFW (maybe not all, but a lot) and only came across a couple of EC. Of course I would prefer an Australian as I hear they have a longer lifespan and are hardier but I have yet to pull the trigger.

Sooo... I was in my LFS today here in Waco (love those guys) and he is trying to show off some corals he has and I ask about one that doesn't look too good. "Oh, that's an elegance coral that is dying, has been for about the last two weeks" he says. Well I'll be honest I am intrigued because it is an elegance coral and perhaps I can save it... "How much would you sell it to me for" I ask, honestly thinking like twenty bucks or something... "You can have it if you want" He says:bounce2::bounce3::dance:

So now I am the proud owner of a dying elegance coral, which by the way already looks a little bit better than it did when I first bought it... Also bought a bubble coral as well, really like those too...

I will update my success or failure here and anyone that wants to support or deride is welcome to tag along.

This is what it looks like now (hide your eyes)

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/348/20058727738_f2782e3329_c.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/297/20058719830_26e50203b7_c.jpg

Pdfcrazy
08/02/2015, 10:39 PM
Lol, I've done the same with other "pets". Honestly, I've seen alot worse than that come back. Assuming you have good water quality and can get good placement within your tank, you should know within 6 weeks or so.

OurLifeAquatic
08/02/2015, 10:55 PM
I wish you the best of luck and hope it survives.

That said, I have rarely seen Cataphyllias bounce back from the state that yours is in. I would suggest placing it on the sand bed in low to moderate light and low/moderate flow - both on the lower side. A coral RX dip might also be beneficial, but at the same time you don't want to add more stress...then again, a hail mary might be worth a try.

Like pdf said, immaculate water quality is going to be a must and time will tell.

codyreed29
08/02/2015, 11:17 PM
May recover may not I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I would still be on the look for a healthy speci

EnderTurtle
08/02/2015, 11:18 PM
Corals die at Local Fish Stores every now and then. If you didn't pick it up, it probably would have went into the garbage.

It's a gamble. Maybe itll recover and you would have gotten yourself a deal. Or maybe it'll develop brown jelly disease and kill all your other corals. Personally I would not have done it. A lot of indo (or is it aussie or both?) elegance corals do not do well in reef tanks.

texdoc77
08/03/2015, 07:10 AM
May recover may not I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I would still be on the look for a healthy speci

Hopes appropriately tempered.

I wish you the best of luck and hope it survives.

That said, I have rarely seen Cataphyllias bounce back from the state that yours is in. I would suggest placing it on the sand bed in low to moderate light and low/moderate flow - both on the lower side. A coral RX dip might also be beneficial, but at the same time you don't want to add more stress...then again, a hail mary might be worth a try.

Like pdf said, immaculate water quality is going to be a must and time will tell.

It is looking slightly better this morning, unless it goes the other direction, or at the point I consider putting it into my DT, I would coral RX it then.

Corals die at Local Fish Stores every now and then. If you didn't pick it up, it probably would have went into the garbage.

It's a gamble. Maybe itll recover and you would have gotten yourself a deal. Or maybe it'll develop brown jelly disease and kill all your other corals. Personally I would not have done it. A lot of indo (or is it aussie or both?) elegance corals do not do well in reef tanks.

It is in my QT and while I do also have another coral in there as well ATM, I'm not sure that constitutes that large of a gamble. And yes I'm quite sure it was headed for the dumpster, it is definitely a fixer upper!!

joshky
08/03/2015, 08:38 AM
Perhaps you could try seeing if you could incite a feeding response with pellets, if it'll feed I would try feeding it 3x a week for the first month to help it recover.

texdoc77
08/03/2015, 09:08 AM
Perhaps you could try seeing if you could incite a feeding response with pellets, if it'll feed I would try feeding it 3x a week for the first month to help it recover.

It is opening up a little more, but that is a good idea. I wonder if giving it some time to acclimate a little more before feeding is necessary or if the majority of reefers might just go ahead and feed. What kind of pellets would you use?

joshky
08/03/2015, 09:12 AM
Here is a good thread with a lot of information on saving LPS corals if you'd like to read up some.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1918483

HTH