PDA

View Full Version : Blackworms

Tangs27
08/04/2015, 07:00 AM
Hey everyone I tried posting earlier but it wouldn't let me for some reason.

Has anyone fed blackworms to baby Banggai Cardinals? I keep reading about the nutrition issues that can arise from BBS older than 6 hours so I'm wondering if anyone has tried freezing their live blackworms then grind them up with some selcon and maybe some garlic to entice them.

Either way I would appreciate some thoughts on the idea as I'm starting to set things up and purchase the food. Thanks :)

ichthyogeek
08/09/2015, 09:14 AM
Sounds like a feasible idea. I'd also add in some copepods as well for nutritional deficiencies.

What are these nutrition issues about BBS after 6 hours? If you're talking about how BBS after a while losing nutrition due to instar stages, then you can just add food like powdered spirulina, phytoplankton, etc. to help enrich the BBS; additionally, you can soak them in something like Vitality, Selcon, or whatever.

Tangs27
08/10/2015, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the response. I'm not exactly sure what the issues with the BBS are. Having only 1 culture of live foods going instead of 2 would save me some space in the small area I am utilizing for this. I will definitely look into the options you listed. Thanks again [emoji2]

shifty51008
08/10/2015, 10:39 PM
After around 6 hours if not sooner bbs have used up their yolk sack which is what makes bbs very nutrinal. After the yolk sack is used up you have to gut fill the bs with a high protien diet like selcon, ect otherwise imo they are worthless to feed

snorvich
08/11/2015, 07:07 AM
After around 6 hours if not sooner bbs have used up their yolk sack which is what makes bbs very nutrinal. After the yolk sack is used up you have to gut fill the bs with a high protien diet like selcon, ect otherwise imo they are worthless to feed

I agree. However they will gut load whatever is added to their water.

Tangs27
08/14/2015, 12:14 PM
So would I just need to add the seldom directly to the water with some phyto or by itself. Thanks

shifty51008
08/14/2015, 12:17 PM
Add it to the water with phyto

Tangs27
08/17/2015, 01:43 PM
Ok thanks will do [emoji106]