PDA

View Full Version : Neon dottyback

civics14
08/04/2015, 09:42 AM
So, I got a neon dottyback a few weeks back... was kind of paranoid about getting it since all the horror stories I've read about them being so aggressive. Then I read that if he's the last fish added he's less aggressive. So, I put him in there, and like I said, it's been a few weeks, and he's a perfect model citizen in my tank. Keeps to himself scavenging the rocks, even leaves my fire shrimp alone.

So, my questions is, could I have gotten a non-aggressive one? Could I possibly add a watchman goby without having him attack him?

Thoughts?

current stock: pair of clowns, 2 firefish, yellow tang, yellow tail damsel, fire shrimp

Moort82
08/04/2015, 02:00 PM
TBH I think a lot of the problems with this species is because they are added with timid tank mates. The only one on your list that would likely be worried by them would be the firefish. As they stay out of the dotties territory most of the time you may be lucky and never see a problem. I will say however that from personal experience they do become more belligerent with maturity but I also don't see these as a particularly aggressive species when compared to some dotties. I have dealt with both wild neons and captive raised and like with other dottybacks the wild are more aggressive and captive raised mere pussycats.
I've never had many problems when adding new fish with dottybacks and this includes gobies. You might notice that they "welcome" the new inhabitant with a few nips to the tail or some chasing but ime at least this is short lived and as long as the new fish has hiding places away from it you should be ok. Just be careful that gobies jump when scared.

civics14
08/04/2015, 02:56 PM
Well I hope this one in particular is on the least aggressive side since it was a captive bred one. Going to try adding the watchman goby this weekend and hopefully it goes well. I do have a screen above my tank to prevent any jumpers.